Palo Alto haunted house spooks scores each year

'Realm of Darkness' is a one-man show

From the street, Danilo Oxford's Midtown Palo Alto home is neat and well-manicured, with a profusion of flowers accenting the two-story, pumpkin-orange house. But a macabre spectacle beyond the garden gate awaits visitors.

There is something on the backyard barbecue grill, and it isn't hot dogs or burgers. A mummified skeleton sporting a "Kiss the cook" apron stands ready to baste the grisly morsels — rubber hands and feet.

Welcome, dear visitor, to Oxford's Realm of Darkness haunted house.

Each Halloween for 16 years, mild-mannered Danilo, 54, opens his 800-square-foot backyard house of horrors for four evenings at 1034 Moffett Circle. His nightmarish, zombie-populated vision of fright contains 22 pneumatic figures — some 6 to 7 feet tall — four coffins, headless victims, talking skulls and smoke-spewing gargoyles with glowing red eyes.

On a recent visit, Oxford greeted his victim/visitor in a blood-spattered white lab coat labeled "morgue."

Walking through a forbidding-looking iron rebar gate, he smiled affectionately at the black-shrouded skeleton trapped in a metal cage. "Do not feed!" the attached sign warned.

"Every year it gets better," he said.

This year the haunted house opened Oct. 20 for one evening, re-opened Oct. 26 and 27, and will re-open Oct. 31 from 6 to 9 p.m. Visiting is free of charge, although visitors often leave a donation toward the next year's production, he said.

The Realm of Darkness is indeed a dark place. Inside its labyrinthine walls, the archetypal figures of Halloween scream and pop from ceilings and walls. Escaping the ghoulish labyrinth isn't easy.

"I used to have straight sections, but they'd beeline for the exit. I make it tough on them. It's not for little kids. I warn people that it's not for kids under age 9 or for people with severe claustrophobia. You don't have room to run when something pops down from the ceiling. It's an adrenaline rush, like going on the roller coaster," he said.

Most professional haunted houses are filled with actors, but Oxford's is a one-man show. He creeps around from section to section, playing both live actor and puppet master. Deftly maneuvering switches to activate his spine-chilling cast members, he growls from behind his mad-scientist-cum-zombie mask — bwah-ha-ha-ha.

Don't look too closely at what's in those jars in the lab.

"I like to be a part of it. I like to see people's reactions. It's like a psychological study of how people react. Two or three people will squeeze in a doorway at the same time trying to escape," he said.

Apparently, 1,000 visitors share his ghoulish fascination each season. A couple of neighbors help out as guides, but Oxford's wife, Ana, does not. The haunted house is a little too scary for her, she said.

Oxford's fascination with the undead started when he was 12 years old and first watched the television show Creature Features. It broadcast the zombie classic, "The Night of the Living Dead."

"It was just a game-changer for me. It is scary, but really cool," he said.

As a child, Oxford's favorite part of Halloween had nothing to do with ghouls.

"I liked the decorations, and I remembered always how the pumpkin would smell with a candle in it, and you would have the aroma of cooked pumpkin," he said.

Born and raised in Palo Alto, he started making his own Halloween props while attending Palo Alto High School. He spray-painted the names of dead characters on tombstones set up in his front yard.

But the observance of Halloween drifted away after high school until he married and had a family, he said. He began dabbling with the darker side of the human subconscious when his son wanted to set up a trick-or-treat display in the driveway.

"Children bring life to the holidays. They brought back Halloween for me. It's my hobby — it's an obsession to do it," he said.

The lead machinist at Polytech Products Corp. in Menlo Park, Oxford applied his knowledge of manufacturing and design to the haunted house, building the figures by hand. Using scrap materials and a few store-bought items such as masks, he taught himself to bring his creations to life using forced air.

Through trial and error — and the responses of his audience — he has learned what works and what doesn't, he said.

The ghoulmaster has his standards.

"I've never done slasher-film things," since murder and mayhem are "an unpleasant reality," he said.

The haunted house is pure escapism, he added.

Oxford changes the setup and even the characters each year, replacing a mask or changing a head, so that the experience is always new. He starts setting up after July 4, assembling the black plywood structure by himself. After Halloween, he takes six weeks to disassemble everything. He would like to find a sponsor so he can hire people.

Oxford said he hasn't found many people who are as obsessed as he.

"I don't sit around and watch TV too much. Even on vacation, I like to explore caves and things like mine shafts. I've always had this youthful curiosity that I've never outgrown," he said.

Asked about what he might fear, he said there isn't much — not the dark, and not ghosts.

"I have not personally seen anything that proves to me there are spirits. I question until it is proven to me," he said.

Now that he's older and the specter of mortality creeps closer, he said he probably wouldn't lie in one of his four coffins. And he might be afraid of a sunken ship — of an ocean liner such as the Titanic — and he would not want to go deep-sea diving and see a shipwreck.

In the final analysis, one thing does haunt Oxford, he said, and it is directly related to the Realm of Darkness: "My fear is tripping over something in the dark."

Comments

+   1 person likes this
Posted by Moffett Neighbor
on Oct 25, 2013 at 11:30 pm

Please come this weekend. The line gets really long on Halloween night. But there isn't usually much of a wait over the weekend.

Posted by B Aram
on Oct 27, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Great article how cool to have a person like Oxford in the neighborhood. Very much looking forward. I have two young boys. I may come into the realm with the older one as my bodyguard:).
Thank you!

Posted by Parent
a resident of South of Midtown
on Oct 28, 2013 at 12:36 am

We brought our children to this for several years, and they always loved it. Thank you to Mr. Oxford for the many thrills he has provided. And thank you Ms Dremann for the interesting article.

+   1 person likes this
Posted by Palo Verde Parent
a resident of Palo Verde
on Oct 28, 2013 at 10:33 am

Love your spooky house as well as some of the others in the neighborhood! We have the best neighbors!!
I also reccomend the Alien house on Vernon Terrace...less gory for the little ones. Happy Halloween!

Posted by Pat
on Oct 28, 2013 at 11:47 am

Our firs time this year. We loved it very much.
Would love to shake Danilo Oxfords hand and tell him thanks. Thanks for putting all his time, money, and effort into treating my Wife and daughter to a good scare. Also a big thanks to his volunteer staff and his neighbors for letting it all happen....

Posted by Eric
a resident of Greenmeadow
on Oct 28, 2013 at 10:40 pm

This looks great... where exactly is this?

Posted by Moffett Neighbor
on Oct 29, 2013 at 8:13 pm

The address is 1034 Moffett Circle. It's a small neighborhood. If you find the street, you won't be able to miss it. It is the one with a zombie or two at the entrance gate and a long line of visitors stretching around the house. Please do leave a buck or two in the donation bin on the way out if you liked it. The props and building material cost money and Danilo puts a TON of time into this each year. I'm sure he doesn't even make enough in donations to pay for the generator that is running full-steam to supply enough power to it. But he is too humble to ask visitors for donations. I hope you enjoy it. There is talk of running an encore performance on Saturday, if the crowd is too big on Thursday for everyone to go through. If you are interested, please speak up. He has never done it past Halloween before but the crowds have been bigger these past 2 weekends than in the past, due to a combination of this article's release and the usual word-of-mouth.

Posted by Lawrence
on Oct 30, 2013 at 6:50 pm

I'd love to come Saturday instead of tomorrow. Will you be opening your haunted house again on Saturday night?

Posted by DANILO OXFORD
on Oct 31, 2013 at 11:28 am

YES, I HAVE DECIDED TO HAVE I EXTRA NIGHT AFTER HALLOWEEN THIS SAT. , NOVEMBER 2. THE HOURS WILL BE THE SAME, 6:00 PM - 9:00 PM. THIS WILL GIVE A CHANCE TO THOSE WHO MIGHT NOT MAKE IT THROUGH ON HALLOWEEN - WE WILL PROBABLY CLOSE THE DRIVEWAY GATES AT 9:00 AND FINISH OFF THE PEOPLE INSIDE. THERE ARE A LOT OF THINGS TO MOVE AND TAKE DOWN BEFORE I GO TO BED (I GET UP AT 4;30 AM FOR MY DAY JOB). I WANT TO THANK ALL OF YOUR KIND RESPONSES AND DONATIONS AND FOR APPRECFIATION OF MY HARD WORK. THANK YOU ONE AND ALL.

Posted by Moffett Neighbor
on Oct 18, 2014 at 5:36 pm

The Realm of Darkness opens TONIGHT!