News

Resident sparks apartment fire with moving box

A Stanford resident moving into an apartment on Saturday started a fire after the moving box he left on a stove ignited, Palo Alto Battalion Chief Niles Broussard said.

Fire personnel responded to the reported kitchen fire on the Stanford University campus at Dudley Lane on July 14 at 4:30 p.m.

 

The resident was moving into the second-story apartment unit and had set a moving box on top of the stove. The stove accidentally was turned on and ignited the box. The resident attempted to extinguish the fire but was forced to evacuate the unit due to smoke and heat. The fire activated two sprinkler heads, which controlled the fire until the arrival of Palo Alto Fire Engine 6.

 

Minor fire damage occurred to the apartment, but extensive water damage impacted an additional 11 units. There were no injuries,and displaced residents were relocated with the assistance of the Stanford Housing Department.

 

No cost estimate for the damage has been determined, Broussard said.

The response included Palo Alto Fire Engines 6, 2, 1, Rescue-2, Truck-6, Medic 2 and Palo Alto Battalion Chief -6.

 

 

Comments

 +   Like this comment
Posted by Bill W
a resident of Duveneck/St. Francis
on Jul 15, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Some of the brightest minds in the country, huh? GO STANFORD!


 +   Like this comment
Posted by youreperfect too?
a resident of Midtown
on Jul 16, 2012 at 10:51 am

Let's give them a break Bill W. Have you never made a significant regrettable human error? I wish the residents of the apartments a speedy return to normal life.


 +   Like this comment
Posted by Arch Conservative
a resident of Menlo Park
on Jul 16, 2012 at 11:12 am

Wonder when Bill W "graduated" from Beserkeley?


 +   Like this comment
Posted by Cid Young
a resident of another community
on Jul 16, 2012 at 11:26 am

I can top that. I heard of a Listing Agent who was showing buyers her own listing and she set her purse down on the cooktop. Next thing she knew it caught fire and she almost burned down her own listing! (What a way to make your sellers Happy!)

I also had a seller once who sold her Moss Beach property and was packing a U-Haul in the driveway getting the final things ready for her move to Reno. She went out for breakfast with a co-worker, and the buyer just happened to drive by, and saw the U-Haul trailer was burning in the driveway! The Buyer called the fire department! Apparently, the last thing they put into the trailer (An old mattress) had bumped the ceiling light fixture and it somehow smoldered and caught fire.


 +   Like this comment
Posted by musical
a resident of Palo Verde
on Jul 16, 2012 at 11:30 am

Not a great way to introduce yourself to your 11 closest new neighbors.


 +   Like this comment
Posted by Safety1st-but no life lost
a resident of Midtown
on Jul 16, 2012 at 11:57 am

It was because of tiredness as a resident, and also due to the packing etc. Very sad for the fire, he or she didn't need that!


 +   Like this comment
Posted by Davey-o
a resident of Charleston Meadows
on Jul 16, 2012 at 12:18 pm

I concur,

Some of the brightest minds in the country, huh?

GO STANFROD!


 +   Like this comment
Posted by Solon
a resident of Old Palo Alto
on Jul 16, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Follow the money.
Student should reimburse Stanford, and reimburse other residents, and insurance company.

Name of student, address?????? When will this be known.

SPRINKLERS SHOULD BE REQUIRED IN ALL NEW OR LARGELY REMODELED HOUSES< E G< where it is taken down to frame, as on Lincoln this month.

"NOBODY DIES IN A SPRINKLED HOUSE" is largely true.


 +   Like this comment
Posted by just asking
a resident of another community
on Jul 16, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Maybe there wouldn't have been so much water damage if the PAFD had not sent seven (count 'em - SEVEN) trucks to this minor fire.

Just sayin'.


 +   Like this comment
Posted by the_punnisher
a resident of Mountain View
on Jul 16, 2012 at 4:30 pm

the_punnisher is a registered user.

If PAFD sent a tanker, that 500 gallons of water/fire retardant didn't help the structure any.


 +   Like this comment
Posted by Chuck
a resident of another community
on Jul 17, 2012 at 3:24 pm

The room was equipped with sprinklers that did activate and put the fire out. The Fire dept didn't put any water on the fire. The number of trucks that responed was what would have been needed had the fire not been put out by the sprinklers. Minor fires become big fires quickly if not controlled. Next time you ven is on, open the door and stick your head close and feel the heat. Multiply that by about 10 times and you will get some idea of the heat generated by a minor fire. Then think what it would be like to go into a building or room with that kind of heat.. give the fire folks a break. No, I'm not a fire fighter, never have been. But I have seen thier work first hand and am glad they do what they do.


Don't miss out on the discussion!
Sign up to be notified of new comments on this topic.

Email:


Post a comment

Posting an item on Town Square is simple and requires no registration. Just complete this form and hit "submit" and your topic will appear online. Please be respectful and truthful in your postings so Town Square will continue to be a thoughtful gathering place for sharing community information and opinion. All postings are subject to our TERMS OF USE, and may be deleted if deemed inappropriate by our staff.

We prefer that you use your real name, but you may use any "member" name you wish.

Name: *

Select your neighborhood or school community: * Not sure?

Comment: *

Verification code: *
Enter the verification code exactly as shown, using capital and lowercase letters, in the multi-colored box.

*Required Fields

Don't fund the rape culture at my alma mater
By Jessica T | 37 comments | 3,117 views

New oyster bar opens in downtown Mountain View
By Elena Kadvany | 4 comments | 2,458 views

Palo Alto and Bay Area Election Facts and Thoughts on the Implications
By Steve Levy | 18 comments | 1,634 views

I am Grateful for Love
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 1,291 views

Mothers, daughters, books, and boxes
By Sally Torbey | 4 comments | 1,232 views