Statement from Steve Jobs' family

'We know many of you will mourn with us'

The following statement was released by Apple co-founder Steve Jobs' family on Wednesday (Oct. 5):

Steve died peacefully today surrounded by his family.

In his public life, Steve was known as a visionary; in his private life, he cherished his family. We are thankful to the many people who have shared their wishes and prayers during the last year of Steve's illness; a website will be provided for those who wish to offer tributes and memories.

We are grateful for the support and kindness of those who share our feelings for Steve. We know many of you will mourn with us, and we ask that you respect our privacy during our time of grief.

Comments

Posted by David Ozturk
on Oct 6, 2011 at 1:34 am

Steve Jobs was a great inventor but most of all he was a great person. I hope he finds eternal peace where he goes and my condolences to his family

Posted by Walter_E_Wallis
on Oct 6, 2011 at 4:20 am

Walter_E_Wallis is a registered user.

I remember Steve and Steve playing Fool on the Hill. You came a long, high way, Steve. Bon voyage!

Posted by Perspective
a resident of Meadow Park
on Oct 6, 2011 at 5:10 am

I don't cry over news of strangers' deaths. But this time I did.

He did so much for so many with his tremendous ideas, verve, risk-taking and ability to bring forth his work. He knew the value of his teams, and his employees. He was a true visionary, a huge role-model for many of us.

Sweet rest Mr. Jobs, and I pray for peace for your family, who must be devastated.

Posted by Anon.
on Oct 6, 2011 at 11:04 am

Steve Jobs was indeed a great man, he was a skilled craftsman and visionary of a new technology. What a story and what a life achievement, one worthy of examination.

I do not mean to say anything negative to that, but Steve Jobs was not a great man in the sense that he had a world changing vision, freed the slaves, brought order out of disorder, justice from injustice - he lived up to his great potential as an entrepreneur against great odds. I mean only say that he was incredible at what he did. Had he lived longer what more might he have done, but his life was cut so short he did what he could, and I hope with all that work he had the time for that great life all his hard work and genius that he contributed should have allowed. He deserved much more time.

He is something that any American could be, yet somehow only Jobs could actually accomplish. Instead of great man, I would say a real man worthy of respect, admiration and remembrance ... the point being that in America if we lived up to our system and if our great men at the peak of their power would push for that to be so we could boast many many more Steve Jobses and take the leadership position in the world by example instead of by the force we more often use.

Jobs in mentioned in the book "Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell and I would recommend that anyone interested read the book and about Jobs mention in it. The book is an analysis of how such people come to be and the thesis is somewhat like, we could empower so many more of our citizens to live up to their potential and contribute to our world.

Posted by Anon.
on Oct 6, 2011 at 11:10 am

Having had long famiiarity with Apple, Apple products, and being a convert to Apple products and having been in tech all my life I had a lot of hope that when Steve Jobs left Apple that he was going to rest, to live his life and to recover and recuperate - to recharge and pull through. It is heartbreaking to read the news of his passing at such a young age with so much more he could contribute. My sincerest condolences to his family and friends, and my best wishes to Steve in whatever hereafter there may be, he will certainly live on.

Posted by Ranch Gal
a resident of Atherton
on Oct 6, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Steve Jobs gave us the tools to change our lives. He allowed me to get on my first computer where I shunned PC's with distaste for confusion, I embraced my first square teal little Mac with a handle on the top. I managed the mouse with an online tutorial in 5 minutes and was "surfing the net" back in 1998 then in an hour. Thank you Steve Jobs and Apple for opening the real "window" for me since I could never grasp "windows" and still today, in 2011, have my love affair with all things Mac. God bless you Steve.

Posted by Our thought are with your family
on Oct 6, 2011 at 4:41 pm

What we'll remember most.

How he cherished his family. Just a few months ago, we saw Mr. & Mrs, Jobs at the Cine Arts theater at Town Square, and countless other times observed some of their comings as goings as we used to live a few blocks away from them. Though it was from afar you could see they were in love. Three kids, the visionary of our time, and the Jobs' mostly looked like they treasured each other.

Thank you Steve, for leaving us memories of that amazing devotion, to your family, to your company , and to your community.

Posted by FRIEDRICH HO
a resident of Stanford
on Oct 7, 2011 at 7:17 am

you are a great man!

Thanks for the iPhone tech. Apples are awesome.

Posted by SoSad..lost a brilliant man
on Oct 7, 2011 at 1:51 pm

I'm very glad he was here with his remarkable inventions, and ideas. And I am very sorry that he is gone. He will be missed by his family for sure, and we will have lost other wonderful things he would have created. He worked hard and cleverly, and he will have a good long rest in eternity. I'll see a star in the sky and see your brilliance.

Posted by Mom with old PC
a resident of Green Acres
on Oct 7, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Steve gave of his boyish curiosity "Big Boy" toys for everyone to enjoy. Thanks to that, the world is now connected and what a change it has had on us all!

I am e-mailing this off my old Sony PC...I never changed over to a Mac due to the (then) time consuming changes of resetting ALL my information. I do know now that doing the transfer can be done painlessly using another computer tool..but I now will donate money to the cancer fund in hopes of finding some cures instead of buying another computer.
RIP Steve and thank you for everything you have shared.

Posted by Ann
a resident of Downtown North
on Oct 7, 2011 at 5:42 pm

I am so sad that you are no longer with us. RIP.

Posted by JP
on Oct 8, 2011 at 1:02 am

I have always wondered about the mysteries of life for years, & yet I cannot understand why there are such Genius minds that are taken from this planet, never to be seen again, at such young age, yet there are crazy, evil minds that go on living for years & years, & in perfect health! As I write this comment, using my iTouch, I discover that the iTouch is also waterproof because it's drenched in my tears as I mourn the loss of a truly, fantastic man - way ahead of this world- yet it stll works!! My utmost condolence for such irrepairable loss to his entire family. To Steve, rest in peace my hero, rest in peace!

Posted by A Neighbor
a resident of Professorville
on Oct 8, 2011 at 1:37 pm

I have been truly saddened by the passing of Steven Jobs. I never met him, yet he felt close. A resident if this wonderful community. I think that a lot of us are feeling this loss deeply because he was truly his own person. Yes, brilliant, which is amazing in itself, but an individual that we can all inspire to be. True to ourselves, following our own values, not changing for the next fashionable trend. We are all so lucky to have had the opportunity to be able to have been so close to a man like Steve. What a complete drag that he is gone.

Posted by A Neighbor
on Oct 8, 2011 at 2:38 pm

We are saddened by the passing of our neighbor, Steve Jobs. Our deepest sympathy to your family. You will live on in the lives of all those you touched. RIP.

Posted by Sarah
on Oct 9, 2011 at 11:42 pm

I wish people would stop "mourning" in front of your home. I find it rude, thoughtless, and it must be very uncomfortable for you.

Posted by Patricia Eldridge
on Oct 13, 2011 at 6:39 am

I became acquainted with the Mac when Palo Alto Senior center
center began giving lesson on the Mac. I am still using the Mac and have followed Steve all the way.Thank you Steve Job.