Palo Alto pug brings smile to dental patients

Middlefield Road office provides canine companionship during exams

Dentist Lori Doran-Garcia's Palo Alto office is equipped with the usual features: reclining examination chairs, sample toothbrushes, a friendly front-desk staff. But there's also a secret weapon: Buster, the 4.5-year-old pug who patients say makes dental checkups something worth smiling about.

This story contains 720 words.

If you are a paid subscriber, check to make sure you have logged in. Otherwise our system cannot recognize you as having full free access to our site.

If you are a paid print subscriber and haven't yet set up an online account, click here to get your online account activated.

Comments

Posted by Jim
on Jul 10, 2011 at 8:17 pm

That is so cool! Pets do have a calming affect.

Posted by truefriend
a resident of St. Claire Gardens
on Jul 10, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Dogs are true friends£¬if only people can be royal to thier friends like that£¬this world would be a better place to live

Posted by reader
on Jul 11, 2011 at 10:26 am

Great story!

Posted by moi
on Jul 11, 2011 at 11:01 am

Lovely story.

But please,

Help Buster lose a few pounds so we can enjoy the magic longer.

We are responsible for the health of our animal friends!

Posted by anonymous
on Jul 11, 2011 at 4:33 pm

What a great thing to do!

Posted by Samuel Lopez De Victoria
on Jul 12, 2011 at 5:46 am

Lovely and perfect personification of empathy <3

Posted by Mabel
a resident of Leland Manor/Garland Drive
on Jul 15, 2011 at 11:44 am

Doesn't anyone care how unhygienic this is? Yeeeech!!!

Posted by DISGUSTED
on Jul 15, 2011 at 1:30 pm

I've got to say this is the type of business I would choose NOT to patronize. Thanks for bringing this particular dentist to my attention. I'll NEVER be a patient of hers. I want my dentist's office to be hygienic. EWWWWWWWWW! I'd take my business elsewhere no matter what the business was (and in fact I have). Animals that don't stay in cages permanently (e.g. fish) don't belong in the workplace, period.

Posted by Buster Fan
on Jul 18, 2011 at 10:17 am

Lovely story and great job Buster!
And to those who aren't fans - isn't that the point? That you can trot off and find a non-dog friendly office? Maybe one with lots of...plants. Oh, wait. There's dirt in those pots, isn't there? ;P

Posted by Dale
on Sep 22, 2011 at 9:35 am

I think the dentist is a genius! I am so tickled she took a chance on allowing Buster to be there for her patients who want to snuggle with him. A fantastic idea and if I were a resident of the area, I'd sign up with her for that reason. I also kinda like that having Buster there weeds out the dog haters!!! Nicer clientele now, I'm sure.

Posted by Ray
a resident of Palo Alto Hills
on Sep 23, 2011 at 10:57 am

To the 2 that objected stating unhygenic conditions with the dog present, I guarantee the dog is cleaner and more hygenic than you are!! [Portion removed by Palo Alto Online staff.] Fine go to another dentist, I know I'll be going to visit this dentist. Having a dog in the office is a wonderful idea. Animal on staff businesses always have a much more relaxed and friendly atmosphere.

Posted by Dara
on Nov 5, 2011 at 7:49 am

This dentist is a genius with and without her dog, Buster. My kids happily go to the dentist and always have knowing she is treating them. Buster is a gigantic bonus who makes the dentist chair relaxing for all patients interested in his company.