Palo Alto pug brings smile to dental patients

Middlefield Road office provides canine companionship during exams

Dentist Lori Doran-Garcia's Palo Alto office is equipped with the usual features: reclining examination chairs, sample toothbrushes, a friendly front-desk staff. But there's also a secret weapon: Buster, the 4.5-year-old pug who patients say makes dental checkups something worth smiling about.

This story contains 720 words.

If you are a paid subscriber, check to make sure you have logged in. Otherwise our system cannot recognize you as having full free access to our site.

If you are a paid print subscriber and haven't yet set up an online account, click here to get your online account activated.

Comments

Posted by Jim
on Jul 10, 2011 at 8:17 pm

That is so cool! Pets do have a calming affect.

Posted by truefriend
a resident of St. Claire Gardens
on Jul 10, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Dogs are true friends£¬if only people can be royal to thier friends like that£¬this world would be a better place to live

Posted by reader
on Jul 11, 2011 at 10:26 am

Great story!

Posted by moi
on Jul 11, 2011 at 11:01 am

Lovely story.

But please,

Help Buster lose a few pounds so we can enjoy the magic longer.

We are responsible for the health of our animal friends!

Posted by anonymous
on Jul 11, 2011 at 4:33 pm

What a great thing to do!

Posted by Samuel Lopez De Victoria
on Jul 12, 2011 at 5:46 am

Lovely and perfect personification of empathy <3

Posted by Mabel
a resident of Leland Manor/Garland Drive
on Jul 15, 2011 at 11:44 am

Doesn't anyone care how unhygienic this is? Yeeeech!!!

Posted by DISGUSTED
on Jul 15, 2011 at 1:30 pm

I've got to say this is the type of business I would choose NOT to patronize. Thanks for bringing this particular dentist to my attention. I'll NEVER be a patient of hers. I want my dentist's office to be hygienic. EWWWWWWWWW! I'd take my business elsewhere no matter what the business was (and in fact I have). Animals that don't stay in cages permanently (e.g. fish) don't belong in the workplace, period.

Posted by Buster Fan
on Jul 18, 2011 at 10:17 am

Lovely story and great job Buster!
And to those who aren't fans - isn't that the point? That you can trot off and find a non-dog friendly office? Maybe one with lots of...plants. Oh, wait. There's dirt in those pots, isn't there? ;P

Posted by Dale
on Sep 22, 2011 at 9:35 am

I think the dentist is a genius! I am so tickled she took a chance on allowing Buster to be there for her patients who want to snuggle with him. A fantastic idea and if I were a resident of the area, I'd sign up with her for that reason. I also kinda like that having Buster there weeds out the dog haters!!! Nicer clientele now, I'm sure.

Posted by Ray
a resident of Palo Alto Hills
on Sep 23, 2011 at 10:57 am

To the 2 that objected stating unhygenic conditions with the dog present, I guarantee the dog is cleaner and more hygenic than you are!! [Portion removed by Palo Alto Online staff.] Fine go to another dentist, I know I'll be going to visit this dentist. Having a dog in the office is a wonderful idea. Animal on staff businesses always have a much more relaxed and friendly atmosphere.

Posted by Dara
on Nov 5, 2011 at 7:49 am

This dentist is a genius with and without her dog, Buster. My kids happily go to the dentist and always have knowing she is treating them. Buster is a gigantic bonus who makes the dentist chair relaxing for all patients interested in his company.

French Laundry alums to open Palo Alto restaurant

Water, baking soda, vinegar and slime
By Cheryl Bac | 0 comments | 4,599 views

Peace Walk and Father's Grief Retreat

Candidate kickoffs: First weekend
By Douglas Moran | 9 comments | 647 views

Opus One
By Laura Stec | 10 comments | 645 views

Registration now open

The Palo Alto Weekly Moonight Run & Walk is happening September 16 at the Palo Alto Baylands.

register here