Bill guaranteeing polling stations becomes law

'There Oughta Be a Law' contest winner was co-proposed by Palo Alto resident

A bill that guarantees California voters have a place in which to vote on Election Day has been signed into law by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

This story contains 382 words.

If you are a paid subscriber, check to make sure you have logged in. Otherwise our system cannot recognize you as having full free access to our site.

If you are a paid print subscriber and haven't yet set up an online account, click here to get your online account activated.

Comments

Posted by common sense
a resident of Downtown North
on Jul 16, 2010 at 6:30 pm

This change sounds like common sense, but I guess they still need to formalize it in the law books.

Posted by Walter_E_Wallis
on Jul 16, 2010 at 7:01 pm

Walter_E_Wallis is a registered user.

Now let's require photo ID, thumbprint on registration book and mandatory prosecution of fraudulent voting.

Posted by L3+
on Jul 16, 2010 at 8:07 pm

Mandatory prosecution??? I've never heard of that for any crime.
Explain how that would work.

Posted by Midtowner
on Jul 17, 2010 at 1:00 am

The common practice of having the polling places in churches is blatant violation of the separation of state and church in the first amendment.

Posted by ODB
on Jul 17, 2010 at 9:48 am

What??? The church isn't making you vote a certain way or casting your ballot for you -- there are laws against that. What a ridiculous notion!

Posted by ODB
on Jul 17, 2010 at 9:54 am

Also, the First Amendment says nothing about separation of church and state, nor does any other Amendment.

Posted by Resident
on Jul 17, 2010 at 10:40 am

Rather a church with a parking lot than a school with children playing and no room to park, or even someone's trashy garage with minimal street parking. I think a church is an ideal location since they are usually not as busy on Tuesdays as they are at other times.

Posted by Mail in Ballots Only
a resident of Charleston Gardens
on Jul 17, 2010 at 1:55 pm

What a waste of money. Our State has a $20 Billion deficit and you want to pay for personnel to stay all day at empty polling sites.

Our ballots are longer than ever, the last one took me over an hour to fill out. Having a mail in ballot and the time to fill it out in my own home was a huge benefit.

Times are changing, we're in the 21st Century now; lets move on to all mail in ballots and save both Cities and the State money.

Posted by Walter_E_Wallis
on Jul 17, 2010 at 7:21 pm

Walter_E_Wallis is a registered user.

Mandatory prosecution means that prosecutors are required to bring all voter fraud cases to trial. When Roberta Sanchez beat B-1 Bob by around 300 votes, more than 300 non-citizens admitted they voted, and yet none were charged or tried.

Posted by Quick note
a resident of Meadow Park
on Jul 17, 2010 at 8:25 pm

I hate mail in ballots..how does one verify they are legitimate?

OH YES!! ! THERE IS NO WAY TO VERIFY THAT THE WALK IN IS LEGITIMATE EITHER!! IF WE DID THAT, WE WOULD BE RACISTS!!!

Posted by Wallis Makes False Statements on a routine basis
a resident of Downtown North
on Jul 18, 2010 at 3:55 pm

As usual Walter E Wallis makes a demonstrably false statement. Back in 1998 -- when Sanchez beat Robert K. Dornan in an election, she won by 900 votes, more than the number of votes which were alleged to have been cast by noncitizens. See Web Link

Posted by Geoff
a resident of Los Altos
on Jul 18, 2010 at 9:40 pm

In my view your headline "Bill guaranteeing polling stations becomes law" is misleading. Would it not be more informative/accurate to state "Bill alignes precincts to number of in-person voters"?

Posted by In defense of Wallis
a resident of Green Acres
on Jul 19, 2010 at 8:27 am

Dear Wallis makes blah blah

I think you are missing the forest for the trees, aren't you?

By your own link, "Task force Chairman Vernon J. Ehlers, R-Mich., said investigators had found concrete evidence of 748 illegal votes by non-citizens,..."? Sanchez "won" by 900 votes...748 of them were "concrete evidence" of fraudulent. That is NOT 2, or even 10, that is 5/6th of the "winning" votes, or about 85%, were PROVEN fraudlent..this is unacceptable. How many more were fraudulent but not caught? If it is anything like all else in law, the number of guilty CAUGHT is much less than those who are actually guilty.

However, the Democrats know that the more they loosen ID legality issues, the more they get fraudulent votes, the more power they accrue.

We have to become more stringent in our voter ID laws.

So, "as usual", ( in reference to your snide "as usual" comment to the wise Mr Wallis), you miss the point of the consequences. Or perhaps you obfuscate on purpose, being on the side of fraudulent votes?

Posted by Bob
on Jul 19, 2010 at 12:01 pm

I think this is a great idea and I am glade to see it is a law now. My Wife and I live in Belmont and have one of these vote by mail only precincts. It felt like we where being cut out of the electoral process. For one I enjoy going to a polling place to cast my ballot it feels like we are doing our civic duty. As far as expense for polling workers, correct me if I am wrong (and I may be) but don't people volunteer to be poll workers?

Posted by cieboy
on Jul 19, 2010 at 10:22 pm

Agree with "mail in ballots only". I know it is quaint to feel you are doing your civic duty and its a wonderful thing to do for the retired but most people who commute are too busy and also I feel like I am doing my civic duty just fine by mailing in my ballot from the comfort of my home. They even give you one of those "I voted" stickers if you are still unhappy....

Posted by virginia
a resident of Jordan Middle School
on Jul 19, 2010 at 11:47 pm

to Bob from Belmont: we poll workers do get paid - not a lot, but we do work from before the polls open at 7 am until after they close at 8 pm, so we earn what we get. Also, I agree, I like to go to a polling place. I fill my Mail-In ballot out at home, but it's nice to see some neighbors when I go deliver it (and that way I'm not relying on the Post Office to deliver it on time).

Posted by Ali Hassan
a resident of Esther Clark Park
on Jul 20, 2010 at 8:22 am

First Amendment:
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof . . ."