Skyline motorcycle crash kills East Palo Alto man

The victim of a fatal motorcycle crash on southbound state Highway 35, Skyline Boulevard, Saturday afternoon has been identified as 38-year-old Hillary James Simmons of East Palo Alto, according to the San Mateo County coroner.

The crash was reported shortly before 1:30 p.m. on southbound Highway 35 just south of state Highway 84, CHP Officer A. Paulson said.

The motorcyclist crashed into an embankment on the side of the highway and died as a result of injuries suffered in the crash, Paulson said.

The highway was shut down for more than an hour due to the investigation into the crash, according to Paulson. It reopened shortly after 2:35 p.m., she said.

Comments

Posted by Jenn, a resident of Palo Alto Hills
on Jun 27, 2010 at 11:50 am

I was with Hillary at the scene of the accident. My prayers go out to his friends and family.

Posted by Eric Sr., a resident of East Palo Alto
on Jun 27, 2010 at 2:15 pm

I grew up with Hillary and I knew his entire family, and this is a huge loss for them. Keep the Simmons family in your prayers

Posted by Jenn, a resident of East Palo Alto
on Jun 27, 2010 at 5:43 pm

Eric, I'm so sorry for your loss. The whole motorcycle community is in mourning right now. God bless his family. Rest in peace, Hillary...

Posted by McGrude, a resident of College Terrace
on Jun 28, 2010 at 10:19 am

It's very sad when anyone dies. Unfortunately Hillary's death will not be the last up there in the hills this summer. The riding season has just come to full swing and sadly there will be more deaths and injuries.

My thoughts and prayers to his friends and family.

Posted by Hulkamania, a resident of Duveneck/St. Francis
on Jun 28, 2010 at 10:45 am

I was a cafe racer and used those same roads in the '80s. The bikes have gotten safer but also a lot more powerful over the years. Wear your helmet and leathers and take it easy out there guys.

Posted by cieboy, a resident of Barron Park
on Jun 28, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Skyline is a public road not race ways please race at a racetrack. I no longer ride my bicycle on skyline because of people racing. My thoughts and prayers to his friends and family. PS Where are the police? Any day you could catch dozens on Skyline for speeding.

Posted by Fiona, a resident of Palo Alto Hills
on Jun 29, 2010 at 12:13 am

[Post removed by Palo Alto Online staff.]

Posted by Sal, a resident of Menlo Park
on Jun 29, 2010 at 11:44 am

Hill was a great guy. Sad to see your gone man. Wish I could have seen you one last time man before this happend. You take care up there Hill. Always be my homie man you and nick....Godbless you Hill~ ~

Posted by racer, a resident of Leland Manor/Garland Drive
on Jun 29, 2010 at 8:03 pm

Don't have to race to get injured/killed. Some of the most lethal accidents have been at slow speeds (under 30mph) Gear helps, wear it, but its no excuse for proper handling and your brain.

My condolences to the family of the deceased rider. I've known riders who have gone down, some fatal, others not. Not all of them were wreckless or endangering themselves and or others. Sometimes even with everything done right, things happen. Its called an accident for a reason.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.