News


Faulty flue caused Zibbibo fire in Palo Alto

Early afternoon blaze closed parts of Lytton Avenue and side streets shortly before 2 p.m. Saturday

A blaze caused by a faulty flue of a kitchen stove hit the Zibbibo Restaurant in downtown Palo Alto Saturday, causing local street closures.

Fire trucks blocked parts of Lytton Avenue and side streets. The restaurant is located at 430 Kipling Ave. but extends through to Florence Avenue.

Firefighters had to put out the fire from inside the building and from the rooftop.

A Menlo Park Fire Department crew got to the scene before the Palo Alto Fire Department because it had been transferring equipment between stations when the call was made, and it just kept rolling to the scene, according to Battalion Chief Tim Nigh.

Comments

 +   Like this comment
Posted by PASteve
a resident of Barron Park
on Jul 20, 2009 at 11:43 am

Is the restaurant still open? If not, when is it expected to re-open?


 +   Like this comment
Posted by cieboy
a resident of Barron Park
on Jul 20, 2009 at 4:07 pm

They have the best roasted mussels. (No pun intended)


 +   Like this comment
Posted by DN
a resident of St. Claire Gardens
on Jul 21, 2009 at 7:36 am

Never pay full price for construction products. and Taxi cab drivers make terrific carpenters as well.


 +   Like this comment
Posted by member
a resident of Midtown
on Jul 21, 2009 at 11:22 am

I worked there for a number of years. There were THREE fires during my tenure. One was a mystery fire in the linen closet. The second was a grease fire caused by poor training and supervision. The third was caused by faulty construction. At the grill station nails had been driven through the back wall into the studs. The nails acted as a heat conductor. The nails were hot enough to cause a fire inside the walls. Are these three fires plus the most recent one enough to prompt some scrutiny from PAFD? I hope we can prevent loss of life.


 +   Like this comment
Posted by chris
a resident of University South
on Jul 21, 2009 at 11:34 pm

The restaurant is expected to be closed for a month or more.

By the way, the name is spelled Zibibbo.


Don't miss out on the discussion!
Sign up to be notified of new comments on this topic.

Email:


Post a comment

Posting an item on Town Square is simple and requires no registration. Just complete this form and hit "submit" and your topic will appear online. Please be respectful and truthful in your postings so Town Square will continue to be a thoughtful gathering place for sharing community information and opinion. All postings are subject to our TERMS OF USE, and may be deleted if deemed inappropriate by our staff.

We prefer that you use your real name, but you may use any "member" name you wish.

Name: *

Select your neighborhood or school community: * Not sure?

Comment: *

Verification code: *
Enter the verification code exactly as shown, using capital and lowercase letters, in the multi-colored box.

*Required Fields

Local picks on 2015 Michelin Bib Gourmand list
By Elena Kadvany | 1 comment | 2,729 views

WUE makes out-of-state tuition more affordable
By John Raftrey and Lori McCormick | 2 comments | 2,712 views

Ode to Brussels Sprout
By Laura Stec | 14 comments | 2,303 views

Go Giants! Next Stop: World Series!
By Chandrama Anderson | 1 comment | 1,751 views

In Defense of "Incivility"
By Douglas Moran | 18 comments | 1,678 views