Firefighters battled a two-alarm blaze at a house near the Bear Gulch Reservoir in Atherton Sunday morning that may have been sparked by illegal fireworks, a fire official said.
The woman reportedly heard fireworks prior to the fire that caused the upper deck to collapse onto the first floor, Schapelhouman said.
About 44 firefighters with seven engines and two trucks contained the flames just before 5 a.m., he said.
He estimated about $500,000 in damage and said the residents, who are in Hawaii, will not be able to live in the house when they return.
The whole rear of the dwelling and its interior was completely burned, he said.
This story contains 146 words.
If you are a paid subscriber, check to make sure you have logged in. Otherwise our system cannot recognize you as having full free access to our site.
If you are a paid print subscriber and haven't yet set up an online account, click here to get your online account activated.