News

Labrador rescued from fire doing 'a lot better'

Ginger, the two-year-old female Labrador retriever that suffered smoke inhalation in a May 15 house fire in Menlo Park, is doing well, according to the nurse who cared for her the night of the fire.

"She's breathing a lot better," said Karen, a nurse at South Peninsula Veterinary Emergency Clinic in Palo Alto, on Friday night.

Firefighters from the Menlo Park Fire Protection District rescued Ginger from the two-story house shortly after arriving at 6:33 p.m. at the scene of the fire at the corner of Chateau Drive and Valparaiso Avenue.

She was the only casualty of the fire. The couple who live there were out to dinner when the fire began in the garage.

Fire officials say the fire began when a pilot light from a water heater ignited volatile vapors coming from a refinished piece of furniture.

Ginger was transferred to a veterinary hospital in Los Altos on Friday. "She's doing great," Karen said she was told by the officer from the Menlo Park Police Department who took her to Los Altos.

Continuous oxygen and antibiotics are the treatment for smoke inhalation, Karen said. The antibiotics are necessary because the smoke burns the lungs and exposes them to infection. "She was pretty bad," Karen said.

Bay City News Service contributed to this report

Comments

 +   Like this comment
Posted by Marie
a resident of Portola Valley
on May 19, 2008 at 3:54 pm

I'm glad the lab is doing well. Good job fire fighters!


 +   Like this comment
Posted by Nora Charles
a resident of Stanford
on May 20, 2008 at 2:46 pm

Nora Charles is a registered user.

Thank heavens she is doing okay and thanks to those caring for her. And hearty thanks to the firefighters who saved her life.


Don't miss out on the discussion!
Sign up to be notified of new comments on this topic.

Email:


Post a comment

Posting an item on Town Square is simple and requires no registration. Just complete this form and hit "submit" and your topic will appear online. Please be respectful and truthful in your postings so Town Square will continue to be a thoughtful gathering place for sharing community information and opinion. All postings are subject to our TERMS OF USE, and may be deleted if deemed inappropriate by our staff.

We prefer that you use your real name, but you may use any "member" name you wish.

Name: *

Select your neighborhood or school community: * Not sure?

Comment: *

Verification code: *
Enter the verification code exactly as shown, using capital and lowercase letters, in the multi-colored box.

*Required Fields

Cho's, beloved dim sum spot, to reopen in Los Altos
By Elena Kadvany | 8 comments | 5,992 views

Why I Became Active in Palo Alto Forward
By Steve Levy | 12 comments | 2,339 views

Early Decision Blues
By John Raftrey and Lori McCormick | 0 comments | 1,990 views

Guest Post from HSSV: Adopt a Naughty Dog!
By Cathy Kirkman | 2 comments | 1,527 views

First Interview
By Sally Torbey | 10 comments | 1,148 views