Ginger, the two-year-old female Labrador retriever that suffered smoke inhalation in a May 15 house fire in Menlo Park, is doing well, according to the nurse who cared for her the night of the fire.
Firefighters from the Menlo Park Fire Protection District rescued Ginger from the two-story house shortly after arriving at 6:33 p.m. at the scene of the fire at the corner of Chateau Drive and Valparaiso Avenue.
She was the only casualty of the fire. The couple who live there were out to dinner when the fire began in the garage.
Fire officials say the fire began when a pilot light from a water heater ignited volatile vapors coming from a refinished piece of furniture.
Ginger was transferred to a veterinary hospital in Los Altos on Friday. "She's doing great," Karen said she was told by the officer from the Menlo Park Police Department who took her to Los Altos.
Continuous oxygen and antibiotics are the treatment for smoke inhalation, Karen said. The antibiotics are necessary because the smoke burns the lungs and exposes them to infection. "She was pretty bad," Karen said.
This story contains 213 words.
If you are a paid subscriber, check to make sure you have logged in. Otherwise our system cannot recognize you as having full free access to our site.
If you are a paid print subscriber and haven't yet set up an online account, click here to get your online account activated.