Walt Hays

Environmental leader

As a 10-year-old boy, Walt Hays chased butterflies with the children of Theodore Hoover — brother of President Herbert Hoover — at Rancho del Oso, the Hoovers' private family retreat.

This story contains 889 words.

If you are a paid subscriber, check to make sure you have logged in. Otherwise our system cannot recognize you as having full free access to our site.

If you are a paid print subscriber and haven't yet set up an online account, click here to get your online account activated.

Comments

Posted by Sue Kateley
on May 13, 2008 at 3:57 pm

I worked with Walt in the 1980s when I first worked at the California Solar Energy Industries Association. I'm making my second tour of duty now as Executive Director again after a 20 year absence. I am writing to say how wonderful it is to hear about Walt and to verify all of the wonderful things this article says about Walt, his ethic, his persistence, and his value to society. I'm delighted to see him recognized.

Walt - we must catch up!

Best wishes, Sue

Posted by Howard
on May 13, 2008 at 4:09 pm

[Post removed.]

Posted by Elaine Hallmark
on May 16, 2008 at 6:20 pm

What a great article about Walt's achievements over the years. I have worked with Walt through Creative Initiative and Beyond War from the 1970's forward. It is so wonderful to see the cumulative effects of his work, and to see it recognized. Great work, Walt!! It is wonderful to have maintained a connection. I hope we can continue to support moving the world beyond war and into a sustainable system.

Posted by Harry Orendorff
on Aug 19, 2008 at 1:37 am

My wife and I were members of CIF from 1972 to 1976. At that time we lived in Saratoga Ca. CIF was great! How can I help. My email address is heliumharry @ comcast.net.

Posted by Marga WEstlake
on Oct 6, 2008 at 12:02 pm

Living in Palo Alto and working for Stanford was living in Paradise. I have a complement-supplement to the goals of your organization. My husband still has your "Beyond War" packet, it is making a difference in our work. To whom may I send a 15 page letter and white paper regarding forming a sustainable economic network designed to keep America bouncing back better.

Posted by Marga WEstlake
on Oct 6, 2008 at 12:12 pm

We can start what we have termed the "Economic Comprehensive Overview Network" also known as "Brainstorms" and/or "Braintrust" by adding on all the right thinkers who can discuss a world beyond war. Iit's more astute today than ever. Please tell your concerned and/or thinking friends about ECONetwork forming and have them add their email address. Send it to alexandrias-archives@charter.net. Please state if we may disseminate your email address to the rest of the network. If you prefer to read the white paper on this subject first, ask and we will email a condensed version as text.

Posted by Gary
a resident of Downtown North
on Oct 6, 2008 at 12:36 pm

I can admire Walt Hays volunteer efforts, especially conservation issues. However, his (and Jim Burch) Beyond War efforts were nonsense. I remember having co-workers who got mesmerized with this stuff. They actually opposed Ronald Reagan's successful drive to defeat the Soviet Union. If Beyond War had had its way, the Berlin Wall would probably still be in place.

I also worry that the Walt Hays environmental approach to save the world will have just the opposite effect. For example, putting too much hope on solar power, while opposing nuclear power, will produce a disasterous effect. We are currently feeling a little heat from a rattled financial market, but it is nothing compared to a situation where too few electrons are avialable to meet demand.