The 86th Annual May Fete Parade will take place Saturday, May 3, starting at 10 a.m. in downtown Palo Alto. The theme of this year's parade is "Moovin' and Groovin' — A Celebration of Keeping Active."
Kids, floats and school groups will march down University Avenue in three different categories: Kids with Pets, Kids in Costume and Kids on Wheels. Members of the Stanford women's basketball team, who were finalists in this year's NCAA championships, will be the parade's Grand Marshals.
The parade, Northern California's oldest children's parade, is expected to last an hour and a half. It will be followed by a Town Fair at Addison Elementary School, with food, music and games until 1 p.m.
Registration for groups and floats has already passed, but individual kids who go to the information booth on Emerson Street near University by 9:30 a.m. with their pet, costume or wheels will be allowed to join in the parade.
To accommodate the parade, the following streets will be closed from 6 a.m. to noon:
• University from High Street to Middlefield Road;
• Webster Street from University to Kingsley Avenue;
• High, Emerson, Ramona, Bryant, Florence, Waverley, Kipling, Cowper, Byron and Tasso streets at University;
• Hamilton, Forest, Channing and Homer avenues at Webster; and
• Addison and Lincoln avenues from Webster to Middlefield.