Police arrest six in St. Patrick's weekend sting

Using an underage decoy, Palo Alto police arrested six people over the St. Patrick's Day weekend for allegedly serving alcohol to minors, police announced late last week.

An underage decoy and officers visited seven restaurants and two liquor stores on March 15, and servers or clerks at four restaurants and two liquor stores were cited for serving to a minor, Ryan said.

In addition, a bouncer at a restaurant was arrested for outstanding warrants and a bouncer at another restaurant was cited for proving false information to the police.

Servers or clerks at Dan Brown's Bar, Compadres restaurant, Ernie's liquor store, the Palo Alto Bowl, Rudy's Pub and Miyake's restaurant were cited. The state liquor board will be notified of the violations, Ryan said.

The 19-year-old decoy was denied alcohol at Trader Vic's, A-1 liquors and the Fish Market restaurant.

-- Don Kazak

Comments

Posted by Joanna
a resident of Adobe-Meadows
on Mar 25, 2008 at 2:07 pm

Miyake's encourages people to stand on tables and do sake shots.

Posted by Bob
on Mar 25, 2008 at 10:23 pm

Here we go with this press release again. I wish Palo Alto police would pick a higher priority to publicize. As issues go, this one is low on my totem pool. For elective policing, I would prioritize issues of assault prevention, and supporting police efforts in East Palo Alto. This would bring greater comfort to the citizenry.

Posted by I agree with Bob
a resident of Palo Verde
on Mar 25, 2008 at 10:37 pm

How about, instead of these repeated sting operations, PA police investigated and solved all the burglaries, and now this brazen daytime assault with a gun on a passerby ?... To me, it's much more urgent than nabbing someone serving a drink to a 20 year old customer.

Posted by KT
on Mar 25, 2008 at 10:39 pm

Yeah Bob-
This posting may be low on your totem pole until some drunk underage kid slams into your living room and you are wondering how he got the booze to get all smashed in the first place. There are plenty of articles about all of the robberies and thefts in the neighborhood, which mention prevention techniques, why not one more about irresponsible behavior of restaurants and bars??

Posted by Bob Again
on Mar 26, 2008 at 6:58 am

I don't equate a 19 year old having a beer to drunkenness. I value the parenting I offered to our kids, which taught them the difference between a social glass of wine or a beer, and getting smashed. I might shift the police's emphasis from carding patrons to doing sobriety checks on clients driving out of our parking structures. The irresponsible restaurant is the one intent on getting the patron drunk, and that doesn't ask the customers whether their is a designated driver. Carding the 19 year old is a misplaced priority -- perhaps irresponsible on the restaurant, but still low on my ranking.

Posted by pete
a resident of Professorville
on Mar 26, 2008 at 11:59 am

I don't think the police were prioritizing publishing of the operation. That is up to the media. The police have been prioritizing the need for all citizens to lock their cars and not leave belongings in them. Only recently even trunks have been broken into.

As far as choosing underage drinking to crack down on, any crime should be investigated - especially where children are at risk.

Posted by I agree with Bob
a resident of Palo Verde
on Mar 26, 2008 at 12:09 pm

Bob, I still agree with you. However, in this country, there is so much hysteria about a 19 or a 20 year old having even just one drop of beer, that it is basically hopeless to try and make your point...

Posted by Norm
on Mar 26, 2008 at 2:18 pm

MANY crimes are tied to irresponsible drug use - YES ALCOHOL AND NICOTINE ARE DRUGS - and can consume a lot of police time. But so can having a cop sitting on a street corner waiting for a crime to occur within their view and ignoring what could be happening around the corner.
They can't be everywhere, or watch everybody, but they can do their best when they squelch irresponsible behavior - regardless of the age, occupation, or bank account of the asocial individual.

Posted by Katie
on Mar 26, 2008 at 10:29 pm

I agree that all of the robberies and thefts are something to be aware of and I never said that the PA police should be dedicating any less of their time investigating these incidents (it is a priority). I live in PA too and I would be absolutely beside myself if I were robbed at gunpoint; I want this perp caught as much as the next person. I am simply saying that underage drinking can be a problem when teenagers who don't know when to say when get behind the wheel. I can remember going to restaurants (not so long ago) with a group and having the opportunity (although I was smart enough to not take it) to drink as much as I could afford! These restaurants are being irresposible and the PA police are trying to resolve this as much as I think they are trying to solve the robbery case. What else can we do to be more aware in catching these robbers???