Mother says son was 'trying to protect me'

Son is charged with killing his mother's friend

Electra van Bragt, whose son allegedly stabbed and killed her gentleman friend last Friday night, said today that her son drove to Palo Alto from Auburn last week because "he had a dream that Bob was trying to kill me. He was trying to protect me."

This story contains 724 words.

If you are a paid subscriber, check to make sure you have logged in. Otherwise our system cannot recognize you as having full free access to our site.

If you are a paid print subscriber and haven't yet set up an online account, click here to get your online account activated.

Comments

Posted by Citizen
on Mar 12, 2008 at 3:29 pm

Why aren't we reading stories where local Realtors provide the market value of the house on Waverley - I seem to recall stories like that when the Fitzhugh (sp?) murder happened back in 2000. Have the standards for our local papers actually improved?

Posted by Fact checker
a resident of Southgate
on Mar 12, 2008 at 4:40 pm

Citizen

There are several local papers -- which one are you referring to?

I read quite a few stories about the Southgate murder and don't remember the insensitivity you're referring to.

Posted by janet
a resident of College Terrace
on Mar 13, 2008 at 6:46 am

How incredibly paternalistic and patronizing on the part of the police to act as below. Mrs. van Bragt is an adult woman, not a child. I wonder how many of us would like to be kept in the dark about the condition of a loved one, and then denied the right to spend a few minutes with the body. Mrs. van Bragt is perhaps in her sixties at least, but seems totally competent from the article. Is this discrimination against senior citizens?

Police weren't sure how she would react to the news and were trying to be respectful, Brown said.

"It was sad," Brown said.

When van Bragt was informed, she immediately asked to see Haggquist, something the police could not allow because of the state of his body, Brown said.

"It just wasn't healthy for her. It wouldn't have been good for her," Brown said.

Posted by Jerry
a resident of Adobe-Meadow
on Mar 20, 2008 at 9:05 am

Greate story for Calif.

Posted by Shandra
a resident of Palo Alto High School
on Apr 12, 2008 at 1:41 pm

Electra vanBragt is 78 years old

Posted by Maria
on Apr 13, 2008 at 10:09 am

Sorry this is me again I Just find out about this, (Palo Alto on line links) last Friday night.I am really SAD about what my boyfriend is going through. Today is Sunday the 13,and while rereading all this information about what my boyfriend is going through,and after read that ,he crashed his car in September 27/08,yes he did,and I am sure he where trying to commit suicide.Before all that happens Herman where seen his Dad dieing little by little every day before his decease,Herman start get in to a worse depression about his bipolar disease.He where not taking medicines Sharon where the one who took him down there,plus she saw him acting funky a Day before and hours before too.She sure'nt go out to dinner with Herman Mom and live my boyfriend along with Bob,they didn't get along well
Maria