The shows will go on at Palo Alto's Children's Theatre, with one exception, according to a revised schedule released Wednesday.
"We're able to do this for the relatively short term to get us into summer," James said.
"Certainly with the loss of key staff it's not sustainable."
Four staff members -- Director Pat Briggs, Assistant Director Michael Litfin, Costume Supervisor Alison Williams and Box Office Program Assistant Richard Curtis -- were placed on administrative leave when police closed the theater was closed Jan. 24 for a "financial crimes" investigation.
Litfin, who had been undergoing treatment for cancer, died a week later at Stanford Hospital.
James praised the efforts of Technical Director Michael Miranda and Front Office Program Assistant Emika Abe, the two remaining full-timers. He said other city employees and contractors have been willing to pitch in to keep the theater operating.
But one upcoming production, "Places!!!" -- a show written by Briggs and Litfin to celebrate the theater's 50th anniversary -- was cancelled Thursday. Auditions were scheduled for April 15 and 16, with performances opening May 16.
"The Tales of Beatrix Potter," the production slated to follow the current production, "The Giver," was postponed until May. Auditions were held Jan. 22 and 23, the day before the theater's closure, but will be redone in April, James said.
He said previously the staff who conducted the auditions were no longer available to share the results.
New auditions are scheduled for April 15 and 16 at 3:45 p.m. and are open to children from age 8 through high school, James said. The play is now planned for a May 16 opening night.
No changes were made to "Stuart Little" or the five remaining Outreach productions that are performed in area schools, James said.
On April 15, the theater plans to announce its summer schedule as previously planned, Abe said.
During the summer, the theater produces outdoor Hot Dog Suppertime shows and workshops, camps and productions for youth ages 6 to 24, Abe said.
The summer workload is higher for staff, she said.
James said the current staffing structure probably wouldn't sustain the theater through the summer.
"We don't know if and when staff will be returning. We're working in a vacuum," he said.
Mayor Larry Klein said his goal is to have the theater operations remain as similar as possible and to complete the police investigation.
"I would just like to see it go a lot faster. I think I've been saying that since day one," Klein said Wednesday.
Anyone who bought tickets for a rescheduled or cancelled show can exchange them at the box office, 1305 Middlefield Road, Tuesday through Saturday from 1:30 to 6 p.m.
This story contains 493 words.
If you are a paid subscriber, check to make sure you have logged in. Otherwise our system cannot recognize you as having full free access to our site.
If you are a paid print subscriber and haven't yet set up an online account, click here to get your online account activated.