Palo Alto police are "still sorting through evidence" from searches of the homes of Children's Theatre staff members, police Chief Lynne Johnson said Friday.
She said she wasn't sure if searches of all four homes produced evidence. She said it is impossible to say at this point how long it will take to conclude the high-priority investigation.
Johnson emphatically denied reports that one of the homes was left in serious disarray after the search.
"No doors were kicked in and no homes trashed," she said. "We left (the homes) in the same condition we found them" and officers took before-and-after photos of the areas searched, she said.
The theater was closed Jan. 24 because of the police investigation, but reopened four days later. Four of the full-time staff, including Director Pat Briggs and Assistant Director Michael Litfin, were placed on administrative leave by City Manager Frank Benest.
Johnson confirmed today that the homes of the four staff were searched on Jan. 24 and the police are "still sorting through evidence" gathered from the homes. Personal computers were also confiscated.
The brief closure of the theater and the suggestion that financial crimes had been committed set off tremendous concern in the community because, as Johnson said, the 75-year-old theater "is greatly beloved."
Johnson also expressed concern about Litfin, who is under treatment for cancer at Stanford Hospital. Johnson said police have not tried to interview him because of his medical condition.