Palo Alto gas station robbed at gunpoint

Two men robbed a Palo Alto gas station at gunpoint Monday night, getting away with $400 in cash and miscellaneous items, Detective Brian Philip said.

The men were noticed watching the Valero station at 1963 El Camino Real about 6 p.m., Philip said. They then came back at 6:30 p.m. and robbed the attendant, who was not hurt.

The two men were last seen running north on El Camino Real. Both were Hispanic. One was between 18 and 25 years old, with a thin build. He was wearing a dark cap, black hooded sweatshirt, "Dickies"-style khaki pants and black shoes. The second man had a medium build and was wearing a black cap, white hooded sweatshirt, jeans and white shoes.

Anyone with information about the robbery is asked to call the Palo Alto Police Department tip line at 650-329-2190.

-- Don Kazak

Comments

Posted by Tim, a resident of Crescent Park
on Jan 8, 2008 at 4:09 pm

It is the meth.

Posted by The Duke, a resident of Midtown
on Jan 8, 2008 at 4:20 pm

How is this possible? Aren't handguns outlawed in Palo Alto?

Posted by Hulkamania, a resident of Duveneck/St. Francis
on Jan 8, 2008 at 5:43 pm

"How is this possible? Aren't handguns outlawed in Palo Alto?
Posted by The Duke"

You're kidding aren't you? Aren't you?

Posted by Hello, a resident of Barron Park
on Jan 8, 2008 at 5:53 pm

OMG!

Posted by Apple, a resident of Terman Middle School
on Jan 8, 2008 at 5:54 pm

this is really concerning.

Posted by Don't lay down and take it, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Jan 8, 2008 at 6:09 pm

A 12 gauge behind the counter and an attendant that's trained and not afraid to use it would stop this from happening.

Posted by Gas buyer, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Jan 8, 2008 at 7:21 pm

If I knew, or even had an inkling, that the gas station attendant had a weapon behind the counter, whether or not he knew how to use it, I would not buy my gas there. The likelihood is that it would be an innocent bystander or the attendant themself that would be the most likely to be hurt by that gun.

Posted by Tim, a resident of Crescent Park
on Jan 8, 2008 at 9:46 pm

A gun behind the counter sounds good to me. Don't rob my house.

Posted by Tim, a resident of Crescent Park
on Jan 8, 2008 at 9:48 pm

And yes, I would buy gas there.

Posted by qq, a resident of Barron Park
on Jan 8, 2008 at 10:49 pm

As anyone who has worked this kind of job knows, you are *trained* to not resist and just comply. The training teaches you that the money and the items are not worth your life. You are to note the details of the robber and call 911 once you feel safe.

As the economy continues to sink lower we will see more of these events.

Web Link

The subprime meltdown has just begun.

Web Link

Fed, please keep lowering those interest rates so we can keep borrowing those sinking dollars!

Web Link

qq

Posted by Anonymous, a resident of Menlo Park
on Jan 9, 2008 at 6:35 am

A gun behind the counter sounds good to me. Once you submit to the criminal, you don't know if they will rob you or also try to kill you. Better safe than sorry, and employees should the option to fight back. It's their life -- not the company's or the government's. Yes, I would buy gas there..

Posted by C me around, a resident of Ventura
on Jan 18, 2008 at 11:26 pm

I noticed those guys as I drove past them that night. The next day I read about the robbery.
They looked the part, dressed in dark clothing and had the hoods up on the sweatshirt, pacing a bit. I gave them the benefit in my mind at the time, just another person waiting for the bus there, I thought.....

I feel sorry for the attendant. I was robbed once and it was a terrifying experience.

Those desparados obviously have watched to much tv, played too many violent videos or heard tooo many stories, boastings from people who probably claimed to get away with similar stick ups.

They are too dim witted to realize the REALITY that for just $200 each (the split after the take), they are going to be spending at least five years (+) each in prison. There, they can brag..(yeah, right.) They will be laughed at and end up being someone's bitc~.

Reality check...time to talk with ANY youngsters you know and try to relate to them how this world works...and please, give them some hope.....Thanks.

AND continue to buy gas from Jim Davis. He's a great guy.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.