Stanford professor named adviser to Obama

Linda Darling-Hammond, a Stanford University professor of education, is an informal advisor to the campaign of presidential contender Barack Obama.

"Barack Obama realizes that education in today's knowledge age is critical to the survival and success of both individuals and society," Darling-Hammond said.

"His education plan is comprehensive -- making essential, strategic investments at each stage of education, from early childhood through higher education."

Darling-Hammond has previously testified before Congress on President George W. Bush's "No Child Left Behind" legislation.

-- Don Kazak

Comments

Posted by Loren Esse, Des Moines IA, a resident of another community
on Jan 4, 2008 at 8:56 am

1/4/08

Congratulations Linda. Your informal advisory involvement with the Obama campaign will add deep composure in many challenging ways.

I really enjoyed being greeted by Sarah from San Mateo last night at our 49th precinct caucus here in Des Moines.

I hope you are able to get some rest now and then.

Posted by Loren Esse, Des Moines IA, a resident of another community
on Jan 4, 2008 at 10:19 am

We are in the year of 8 - infinity standing up

Posted by Loren in Des Moines IA, a resident of another community
on Jan 4, 2008 at 4:57 pm

Obama has the necessary composure to be totally blogulated,
and elected.
In this digital age he is the fearless, interested, competent leader
willing to serve.

Posted by YUCK!, a resident of Stanford
on Jan 4, 2008 at 5:10 pm

Linda Darling-Hammond is more tied to the establishment than Hillary Clinton--throughout the past decade, she has assaulted nearly every form of progressive education reform, from using bogus data to attack reform programs referenced in the Audacity of Hope, like Teach for America and the KIPP Schools, organizations that have successfully made progress toward closing the achievement gap and raising educational standards and teacher qualifications.

Posted by David Cohen, a resident of Midtown
on Jan 5, 2008 at 12:37 am

What type of discourse can we have with an anonymous poster who goes by the name "yuck"? Well, let's see...

"Bogus data" is a vague but loaded charge to toss about. If you believe it, cite it specifically and let's air out the issue.

"Assaulted nearly every form of progressive education reform"??? Prof. Darling-Hammond is one of the most respected researchers, writers, instructors, and thinkers in the field of education, and her overall contributions in the field are very much aimed at deep and fundamental reform. Perhaps when you say "nearly every," you mean the ones that you favor?

If her agenda is to "attack reform programs referenced in the Audacity of Hope," then why would the book's author bring her on board to advise his campaign? (And I'm not sure I'd call TFA a reform program, but let's not quibble). At a minimum it suggests that even if they disagree about any given program, he respects her knowledge, analysis, input... (maybe you could take that lead). More likely perhaps, the facts suggest that Obama might find that you are distorting his position, her work, or both.

Posted by Reality Check, a resident of Duveneck/St. Francis
on Jan 5, 2008 at 12:45 am

Certainly, she's more than a far sight better than a local from Stanford who was recently appointed to a high post in education by the Bush administration.

Posted by perspective, a resident of Midtown
on Jan 5, 2008 at 11:47 am

I will be completely disappointed in America if either Obama OR Huckabee is elected. Neither is at all competent ideologically or experientially to run this nation and will help destroy it..one going too far to the right, the other too far to the left.

The good thing about Obama is that we survived Carter, though we paid dearly for him in horrific economic repercussions and the growth of fascism, and we will survive Obama with hopefully no worse effects than from Carter.

Though I am completely appalled by Huckabee, at least I have no doubt that any attack on our nation or our people would be soundly remediated, ...and those who want to destroy us would know it.

So, if it really comes down to these two, I am holding my nose and going for Huckabee, though I really hope it comes down to between Hilary and Rudy.

Posted by Alan, a resident of Greenmeadow
on Jan 11, 2008 at 11:13 pm

I highly recommend this site:

Web Link

It is a very object tool for understanding the candidates, without their spin, our you projecting what you want to hear on some candidates.

You will be given list of 10 relevant topics for this election year, and statements from the candidates (but they are in random order and anonymous). For each statement on each topic you can agree, disagree, or don't mark it. (Some candidates are so vague that your head will spin after reading what they say - leave them blank.)

When finished it list with which candidates you agree with most and for which topic.

After going through it and reflecting on the result I found it to be quite accurate. I did learn a few things about some candidate.

Give it a try.

Posted by Alan, a resident of Greenmeadow
on Jan 11, 2008 at 11:16 pm

Can someone tell me what Obama's likely stand is with NASA, and it plan to return to the moon.

I did hear on a blog that he was against NASA and would cut funding.

Posted by perspective, a resident of Midtown
on Jan 12, 2008 at 2:56 pm

Amazing quiz..I really like it.

I agree, it is a generally quite accurate tool to place you squarely in one camp or the other ( R or D).

Within the candidates of each camp, gotta say that if you don't know the HISTORY of each candidate, and just chose on the basis of what each candidate has said in the last few months, you COULD be fooled.

But, for me, it lined up with my to 2 choices dead on.

Thanks for the link.

Posted by Paly reporter, a resident of Old Palo Alto
on Mar 14, 2008 at 1:07 pm

Palo Alto High School's Verde Magazine recently published an opinion piece on why Obama is the best choice for the democratic candidate.

You can read the article on The Paly Voice at the following link:

Web Link

Posted by Gary, a resident of Downtown North
on Mar 14, 2008 at 2:01 pm

"The most successful presidents have been ones able to rally Americans around a common goal: FDR during the Great Depression and WWII, JFK during the Cold War, specifically the Cuban missile crisis "

I am not going to hammer on this high school kid. It was a well written opinion piece. However, I do take exception to the above quote. JFK was a young novice that almost got many of us killed during the Cuban missle crisis. Khrushchev thought JFK was so weak, that he went ahead with an audacious plan to put missles in Cuba. This was when the Soviet Union did not have nuclear missle submarines that could project power. If Nixon had been elected, Khrushchev would never have tried this. Of course, Nixon would have backed the Bay of Pigs invasion, and Cuba would now be free, instead of enslaved. Khrushchev saw the failure at the Bay of Pigs as the green light to go ahead with his missles.

Obama is, in some ways, like JFK. Articulate, inexperienced, full of hope (and "vigah"). Young people dig him. I understand his appeal to them. However, I also understand real-world consquences of such beliefs.

Posted by perspective, a resident of Midtown
on Mar 15, 2008 at 7:44 am

Yup..I remember JFK. His charisma was such that I, not even in my teens yet, sat transfixed listening to him speak. I cried for days after his assassination.

Nothing can match the "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country" statement. It is one I have lived by my whole life.

Only as an adult studying history did I see how much damage did his naivete do to the country, like Carter ( whom I did work for and vote for, to my everlasting shame.

Obama is the same.....But we aren't electing a preacher, we are electing the leader of the free world. I hope we elect someone who keeps us free and safe.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.