Attempted abduction Friday at Castilleja School

Suspect described as Asian man in his 30s with buzz haircut

A 12-year-old Castilleja student narrowly escaped an abduction attempt Friday morning, according to Palo Alto police. The girl was walking on campus at about 8 a.m. when a man called out to her to "lure her towards him," according to police Sgt. Sandra Brown.

The man tried to grab the student as she turned to run, but she made it safely into the school building and, after telling friends about the incident, alerted officials, Brown said.

The suspect is described as an Asian male with black hair in a buzz cut, with a dark complexion, and between 30 and 40 years old. The student described his clothing as a black waist-length fabric jacket and black chino pants or black jeans. He may have been wearing a light-colored shirt, the girl reported.

Brown said Palo Alto Unified School District officials were planning to put out a warning to parents and students about the incident.

Anyone with information about the abduction attempt or who may have seen the suspect can call police at 650-329-2413.

Comments

Posted by Jon
a resident of Addison School
on Oct 12, 2007 at 7:03 pm

Schools should protect kids

Posted by Casti Girl
on Oct 13, 2007 at 11:54 am

I was one of the student close friends, and was on campus at the time. I attend the school, and they handled it very well! She was lucky to get out okay, though I know she is tramatized.

Posted by was
a resident of Charleston Gardens
on Oct 13, 2007 at 12:13 pm

i was traumatzed by ''police'' because im not all american image, but nevertheless born in the usa. this country doesent go after all terrorists , imncluding its own officials. sorry, but you cannot seperate todays news stories from the effects of your own attitudes and what you allow to happen in your own society...

Posted by that
a resident of Palo Alto Orchards
on Oct 13, 2007 at 12:17 pm

that ''sandra brown'', is that black woman? heard her voice on news station,she should be concerned about racial profiling in her own city. btw,palo alto police should really be called ''santa clara county police'', because they dump innocent people in the same ''main jail'' in san jose. inhuman conditions.

Posted by this 2
a resident of South of Midtown
on Oct 13, 2007 at 12:25 pm

if anyone denies there is police racism problems, log on to ''cop watch la'', site , police regularly spout violent threats to black latino etc. that is thr REAL ''american'' police state.

Posted by Casti Girl
on Oct 13, 2007 at 5:15 pm

I am also a Casti Girl and, yes, I am very scared about this situation, BUT I love my school no matter what... and I know when I go back on monday I will still feel safe. I was a close friend to the 12 year old girl and I am SO proud of the way she handled herself!

Posted by Casti girl
on Oct 13, 2007 at 6:16 pm

I'm also a Casti Girl and, while upset about the situation, am very proud of the job our school is doing to protect us. Also, though this article doesn't report it, their was probably a lot more planning on the attempted kidnapper's part than it may seem. Though this is second hand knowledge, I was told by a friend that not only had the girl seen the man the day before, but he had gained knowledge that our school was having Community Service Day that Friday. This meant that not only would the entire upper school be gone, but there would be many strangers on campus to beging with. Kudos to our 12-year-old for being so perceptive in the midst of all of this!

Posted by Casti Girl
on Oct 18, 2007 at 12:36 am

I agree with all of the other casti girls! The school handled this very well. I feel like they are making a great effort to protect us with all of the new security measures. I heard the story about her seeing him the day before as well. I believe it is true.