News

Morning fire damages home in Menlo Park

An early morning one-alarm fire displaced five people today when a blaze ignited in the garage and extended into their home.

The flames were first reported at 6:57 a.m. and firefighters responded to 1271 Carlton Ave., Menlo Park Fire Protection District Chief Harold Schapelhoumen said. Five fire engines and a ladder truck arrived at the home and had the flames under control by 7:10 a.m.

"It appears that the fire started in the dryer, either from lint build up or an electrical malfunction," Schapelhoumen said.

All of the home's electrical outlets are located in the garage, so the home is untenable, Schapelhoumen said. There is also smoke damage to the house.

The American Red Cross has found temporary housing for the residents until their home can be repaired.

The fire caused an estimated $50,000 in structural damage and $20,000 worth of damage to the home's contents, Schapelhoumen said.

— Bay City News Service

Comments

Posted by ps, a resident of Barron Park
on Oct 8, 2007 at 12:23 pm

How can anyone live with "all the electrical outlets ... located in the garage"? Whey they say the house in "untenable" does that mean unliveable?


If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.

Post a comment

Posting an item on Town Square is simple and requires no registration. Just complete this form and hit "submit" and your topic will appear online. Please be respectful and truthful in your postings so Town Square will continue to be a thoughtful gathering place for sharing community information and opinion. All postings are subject to our TERMS OF USE, and may be deleted if deemed inappropriate by our staff.

We prefer that you use your real name, but you may use any "member" name you wish.

Name: *

Select your neighborhood or school community: * Not sure?

Comment: *

Verification code: *
Enter the verification code exactly as shown, using capital and lowercase letters, in the multi-colored box.

*Required Fields

Palo Alto quietly gets new evening food truck market
By Elena Kadvany | 3 comments | 2,666 views

On Tour - The Highly Selective Liberal Arts Colleges: Occidental, Pitzer, and Scripps
By John Raftrey and Lori McCormick | 1 comment | 1,662 views

See Me. Hear Me. Donít Fix Me.
By Chandrama Anderson | 2 comments | 1,451 views

Foothills Park: a world away
By Sally Torbey | 9 comments | 1,385 views

Candidate Kickoff Events: Public, not just for supporters
By Douglas Moran | 6 comments | 814 views