Danny Luskin is home,
recovering from injuries

Crash that killed his sister, Anna, spares 15-year-old in 'miracle'

The car crash that killed Anna Luskin spared her younger brother, Danny, who returned home from the hospital Monday afternoon after removal of his spleen. He also suffered a cut in a cheek.

"It was a miracle that he walked away from this so well," their mother, Jan Krinsley, said of Danny's condition in an e-mail to fellow "football parents" at Gunn High School late Monday afternoon. He is a member of the frosh/soph team at Gunn.

"Danny will have full recovery probably sooner than later," she said, responding to an earlier e-mail to parents from football coach Matt McGinn.

Danny is a member of the frosh/soph team.

"We came home this afternoon from the hospital. Danny is up and walking (gingerly but walking nonetheless). The doctor is even hopeful that he will be back at practice in August," Krinsley said.

Anna Rose Luskin, 20, who graduated from Palo Alto High School a year ago, died from injuries sustained in a Wednesday night solo car crash along Highway 101 in Paso Robles as she was returning home from Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, where she was studying journalism.

An official at Sierra Vista Regional Medical Center, to which Anna had been transferred after the 8:45 p.m. crash, told the Weekly late Sunday afternoon that Luskin died Thursday night, although the California Highway Patrol said she was pronounced dead at 5:15 p.m. Friday.

Danny was reported in "serious but stable" condition with an injured spleen and a laceration to his face, according to Gunn High School Athletic Direct Matt McGinn. Danny was a frosh/soph football player at Gunn.

"We are all very shocked and saddened by this news. I hope that we can all rally around the Luskin/Krinsley family and offer any support that we can," McGinn said in an e-mail to Gunn football families.

She and her brother were initially taken to Twin Cities Community Hospital.

The CHP told the San Luis Obispo Tribune that Anna was driving northbound at 8:45 p.m. Wednesday when she drifted into the divider, then apparently overcorrected to the right and struck a large oak tree on the edge of the roadway.

Both had a home residence on Farm Hill Boulevard in Redwood City.

Anna was a member of the Paly Voice staff, the school's award-winning Web site. In 2005 she held an internship at the Palo Alto Weekly, during which she wrote several columns, including one about her stressful junior year and another on watching her first real sunset, an assignment when she said she had never really watched a full sunset because "Who would have time for that?"

She and her father, Fred Luskin, a Stanford University professor and author of books on overcoming stress and the power of forgiveness, also wrote a joint father-daughter column.

Jay Thorwaldson

Comments

Posted by Paly Mom 2005, a resident of another community
on Jun 24, 2007 at 7:34 pm

They are no words that can express the horror and sadness of such a situation.

I read the article and immediately picked up my phone to call my daughter, a classmate of Anna at Paly. She already knew, from facebook.

I remember Anna's internship, her columns in the Weekly.

A life cut short before its time. An unspeakable tragedy for the family.

All my condolences.

Posted by Danny, a resident of Crescent Park
on Jun 25, 2007 at 2:09 pm

My heart goes out to Anna's family in the wake of this devastating tragedy. She was clearly a very talented writer whose memory will live on in her writings and the hearts of her family and her friends.

Posted by Nixon Parent, a resident of Nixon School
on Jun 25, 2007 at 4:57 pm

Our hearts go out to the Luskin family following this most difficult of losses. Jan, we will keep you, Danny, and Fred in our thoughts and prayers. The support of Nixon families is here for you to call upon. We will reach out to you durring this very sad time.

Posted by Janai and Steve, a resident of Woodside
on Jun 25, 2007 at 5:14 pm

We are deeply saddened to hear about Anna. We will pray for Danny to physically heal...Fred and Jan; we love you both. You are in our prayers.

Posted by k, a resident of Duveneck/St. Francis
on Jun 25, 2007 at 5:41 pm

I am so sorry to hear about Anna. I never met her, but I remember her: I read her columns and I really respected her views and her writing. She clearly was a wonderful girl.
-From a Paly parent

Posted by Nixon mom, a resident of Nixon School
on Jun 25, 2007 at 6:22 pm

I hope someone will post who is organizing help for the family and what they need and when they need it.

Nixon mom

Posted by Todd, a resident of Community Center
on Jun 25, 2007 at 8:02 pm

I had Anna as a student in a Summer School class many years ago. She was a standout student, extremely well-liked by her peers and an incredibly talented writer. I believe she earned the highest grade in the class that summer. One of the best students I've ever had the pleasure of teaching.

This is an unspeakable tragedy. My thoughts go out to her family.

Posted by Paly Teacher, a resident of Palo Alto High School
on Jun 25, 2007 at 8:50 pm

I had Anna as a student in my class a few years ago at Paly. Down to earth, positive and hardworking, Anna was a pleasure to have in class. This is tragic. I feel terrible for the family and pray that their son recovers.

Posted by Barbara Welch, Principal at Nixon, a resident of Nixon School
on Jun 25, 2007 at 9:18 pm

Nixon Community: I know you are all very worried about the Luskin family. They have returned home to care for Danny who is recovering. They have shared with me that they can feel your concern, care and love. Their family is with them now and they have no immediate needs. Although I am rather uncomfortable using this medium I will keep you posted through it since school is closed and I have no other way of communicating. Barbara

Posted by Mark & Susan Abramson, a resident of Atherton
on Jun 25, 2007 at 10:59 pm

Fred, Jan and Danny: You are constantly in our thoughts, meditations and prayers. We don't want to intrude upon your privacy, so we will wait to call. Please know that we are here for you always. We know Danny will recover and become stronger and stronger. We cherish our memories of Anna Rose and she will be missed immeasurably. There are no words to describe the sadness and loss, but take comfort in knowing that you are surrounded with love.

Posted by Bill & Norine Dolyniuk, a resident of Woodside
on Jun 25, 2007 at 11:09 pm

We are so sorry for your loss. Our prayers are with you and for the recovery of your son.

Posted by Martha Waterhouse, a resident of Nixon School
on Jun 25, 2007 at 11:30 pm

We are so very devasted by your loss and just know every bit of our love is with you right now. You are a wonderful family and we pray for your health and strength to make it through this. Please give Danny all my love and hope for a quick recovery.

Love,
Martha and Family

Posted by Cheryl Nelson, a resident of another community
on Jun 25, 2007 at 11:48 pm

Fred, Jan and Danny. We can't possibly begin to know your pain. Please know that you have been in our thoughts and prayers since the minute we heard about the accident. You are also in the prayers of many that don't know you but have come to know of Anna through Kristin. I'll never forget the day we moved the girls into Cal Poly. I'll always remember Kristin telling me how "Anna is someone she knows she will be friends with for the rest of her life." The two of them were inseperable. I will never forget Anna's beaufiful smile and vibrant personality. I knew from the first day I met her at Cal Poly that she was someone I wanted to always be in Kristin's life. I know her spirit and the memories of her will be with Kristin all her life. Heaven has a beaufiful new angel. Anna will be deeply and forever missed by many. You will always be in our thoughts and prayer.

Posted by Raj Ganesan, a resident of Nixon School
on Jun 26, 2007 at 8:49 am

Dear Jan,
Just heard the tragic news. We are so sorry to hear of your loss and our thoughts are with you.
Ajay, Raj, Ravi & Sanjay

Posted by Paly Parent, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Jun 26, 2007 at 9:05 am

To the Editor

I remember reading the article written by Anna about watching the sunset. It was mentioned recently in the article about Windy Hill.

I wonder if you would reprint it again in honor of Anna.

I remember reading it and thinking that this sounded like a typical American teenager suddenly growing up a little because of this assignment. She struck me at the time as someone who I would have liked my daughter (Paly class of 2006) to be like and know.

Posted by Michele and Marc Miller, a resident of Midtown
on Jun 26, 2007 at 9:31 am

Jan and family,
We met you several years ago when you taught our daughter at Nixon. We didn't really know Anna personaly, but enjoyed reading her charming articles and looked forward to hearing more from her. Our deepest sympathies on your profound loss. May her memory always be a blessing.

Posted by Marlene and Gadi Maier, a resident of Community Center
on Jun 26, 2007 at 9:38 am

Dear Jan and Fred,
Kay just told me the awful news and we are heartbroken by Anna's death. How I wish that we could turn back the clock sometimes. You are in our prayers.

Posted by Anna Luskin, a resident of Nixon School
on Jun 26, 2007 at 11:37 am

Nixon Community: There will be a memorial service and celebration of Anna Luskin's life in the Nixon Amphitheater on Sunday, July 8th from 3-5PM. I will be coordinating this via my school email and the Nixon e-news if you would like more information or would like to help. Barbara Welch, Principal of Nixon

Posted by Azadeh Jacobson, a resident of Nixon School
on Jun 26, 2007 at 2:02 pm

Dear Jan,

I just heard the awful news. We are all so deeply touched by this tragic event. Words cannot make this difficult time easier but our caring thoughts are with in your sorrow.

With deepest sympathy,

Azadeh, Mark, Dionna and Daniel

Posted by Debbie Appler, a resident of Los Altos
on Jun 26, 2007 at 2:11 pm

Dear Luskin Family,

A friend of Carole Petofsky, a former resident of Merrick/Bellmore, my son a student at Cal Poly, I am overwhelmed with sadness at the loss of your daughter. My deepest sympathy to you all. There are so many you don't know who's prayers are being sent to you all.

Sincerely,

Debbie Appler

Posted by Lucy F., a resident of Fairmeadow
on Jun 26, 2007 at 3:22 pm

Anna's columns were some of the best, most heartfelt writing in the Weekly. To hear her young voice, share in her hopes, fears and frustrations was a gift to us all. I even asked her to intern for our online company! What a real, life affirming kid. I have greatly benefitted from Fred Luskin's books and lectures and can only pray that he and his family can now forgive life's greatest sorrows, of which this is surely one.

With greatest sympathy,
Lucy Filppu

Posted by Maria, Aurora & Derek, a resident of Nixon School
on Jun 26, 2007 at 4:35 pm

Dearest Jan, Danny and Fred. All our love and prayers are with you.

Posted by Jan Krinsley, a resident of Nixon School
on Jun 26, 2007 at 4:49 pm

On behalf of Fred and Danny, I thank you all for your kind words and loving messages of support and prayer. Your care is what holds us now as we maneuver through this profoundly sad time.

I wanted to let you know that there will probably be a change of venue for the service. I don't think I understood how many people were touched by our daughter and we will need a larger space. I will find out for sure tomorrow but I am hoping it will be held at Paly where Anna graduated. It will still be on July 8 from 3-5 but hopefully in the quad area of the high school.

Thank you again for your loving support.
Jan, Fred and Danny

Posted by Marcia, a resident of Midtown
on Jun 26, 2007 at 5:05 pm

Jan, Fred, Danny,

My thoughts and prayers are with you. I will always remember Anna's bright joy and enthusiasm, and what a beautiful young woman she had become.

-Marcia (Susie's mom)

Posted by Judy Koelbel Nixon Aide, a resident of Nixon School
on Jun 26, 2007 at 7:22 pm

Jan, Fred and Danny,

There are no words to describe the shock and sadness that I feel today for each of you and your families. Anna was such a beautiful person both inside and out and now God has a beautiful new Angel joining him today. I will always remember our times at the pool during the summer months there at Farm Hill. May God hold you safe and close in His constant loving care now and forever. My prayers and utmost thoughts are with you. Danny to you, may God touch your life and heal you on to recovery.

Posted by Linda Baker, a resident of Nixon School
on Jun 26, 2007 at 8:17 pm

Jan, our hearts go out to you and your family. I've received many emails from Nixon parents who extend their deepest sympathies, and are ready to do whatever they can to support your family in this difficult time.

Linda

Posted by Mary Hansen, a resident of Palo Alto High School
on Jun 26, 2007 at 9:12 pm

Dear Krinsley/Luskin family --
A couple of years ago, I read Anna's article about applying to college in the Weekly. Although I never cut out articles, I cut hers out to save for my husband and daughter to read. Anna struck me as so together, with her head on straight, with her values in the right place - sure, high school was hard work but it was supposed to be fun, too, right?! And she was supposed to be able to sleep. Every moment wasn't supposed to be scheduled. At the time, my daughter Kimberly was a sophmore at Paly and I wanted her to know how important her sleep was, and how, in the big picture, living in this crazy town (she's a 3rd generation Palo Altan) with it's silly ideas about everyone going to an ivy league college is just not the most important thing in life. Who you are is what's important...and at that tender young age, Anna knew. I was awed by the sophistication of her thought and her maturity. What I didn't know at the time of that article is that Anna (a senior at the time) and Kimberly shared a music stand in the Paly Band. When I showed Kimberly the article, she said "Oh, Mom, that's Anna! She is the nicest girl, ever. I sit right next to her in Band!"
Thank you for sharing your wonderful daughter with ours; I'm sure Anna didn't realize what effect her smile and kindness had on others...she will be missed by so many, including us. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Posted by Kathleen Wall , ITP faculty, a resident of South of Midtown
on Jun 26, 2007 at 11:12 pm

Dear Fred, Jan, Danny
Our heart felt love is flowing to sooth you in this time of grief.
The ITP community is holding you in the light with healing prayers.
Blessings,
Kathleen Wall,
faculty colleague of Fred at
Institute of Transpersonal Psychology (ITP)

Posted by Michael Perez, a resident of Menlo Park
on Jun 27, 2007 at 12:25 am

Though I never met Anna, I do recollect her columns and the wisdom and maturity that came across in all that she wrote. The columns she penned on the decisions she made regarding her school choice were refreshingly authentic, especially in light of the achievement-crazed area in which we live.

I am truly sorry for your loss and do not lightly say that her passing has personally saddened me. My thoughts and prayers go out to you (her family) and her friends.

Posted by Cliff Siegel, a resident of another community
on Jun 27, 2007 at 12:31 am

Dear Fred, Jan, and Danny, it is with profound sadness that I reflect on the loss of Anna Rose. I remember seeing her for the first time when she came home from the hospital after her birth and remarking to myself upon seeing her for the last time before she went off to college what a wonderful vibrant adult she was in the process of becoming. Reading the comments above, it is clear that Anna had come to embody in her character so many of the good qualities I cherish in each of you. Barbara and I have been thinking and talking about her a lot in the past week with the deepest regard for your loss and sympathy to you as a family. We hope Danny's recovery is swift.

Posted by Jay Thorwaldson, editor emeritus
on Jun 27, 2007 at 12:54 am

Jay Thorwaldson is a registered user.

To Paly Parent --

Anna's sunset column is online at: Web Link

As the editor who assigned her to go to Windy Hill, I shared with her the emotional value to me of watching sunsets when I was in high school. It occurred to me that it is a great loss to a generation of young persons if they forget how to watch a sun set, or don't think it's important. Perhaps there should be an AP class in that subject, as it seems excruciatingly hard to do these days.

I hope Anna was able to watch a few more since then.

Now the words of The Little Prince to Antoine de Saint-Exupery come to mind: "One loves the sunset when one is so sad."

-jay

Posted by Jerri Sayer-Ream, a resident of College Terrace
on Jun 27, 2007 at 11:02 am

Dear Fred, Jan and Danny,
My deepest and most heart felt sympathies go out to each of you during this most difficult of times.
Marian and Anna Rose were at Escondido together many years ago. Anna Rose's influence was noticable even then. She was a child of great enthusiasum and confidence and a woman of beauty, character and poise.
In her short time here on earth, she touched many lives and her influence will continue to be far reaching. She will be greatly missed.
Sincerest wishes for a full and speedy recovery for Danny.
My prayers and thoughts of strength, comfort, and solice are with each of you.
-Jerri Sayer-Ream

Posted by Kelly Reilly, a resident of Old Palo Alto
on Jun 27, 2007 at 11:57 pm

Dear Fred,

My heart breaks for you and your family. I am so very very sorry for your loss of your Dear Sweet Anna. I too enjoyed reading her columns and hearing from you Fred (with a twinkle in your eye) how she was growing up and going to college. Such a special, wonderful person, so very wise beyond her years. Our family will keep You, Jan and Danny in our prayers.

Posted by Dakota Bayard, one of Dr. Luskin's ITP students, a resident of Mountain View
on Jun 28, 2007 at 11:01 am

Dear Dr. Luskin, Jan, and Danny,
I wish that there was something...anything...helpful that I could say. I just wanted you to know that I am thinking about you, sending you lots of love and support.
With much love,
Dakota Bayard

Posted by A teacher at Paly, a resident of Palo Alto High School
on Jun 28, 2007 at 1:15 pm

I had the immense pleasure of teaching Anna in her junior year. She was a truly bright and gifted young woman. But it was really her shining personality that made her a favorite in that magical 7th period class. I will never forget her smile and effervescent demeanor even at the end of the day. She was a blessing to everyone who knew her. This world will surely miss her.

All of my sympathies and thoughts of love and peacefulness to Anna's family and friends in this impossible time.

Posted by Yoriko Kishimoto, Mayor of Palo Alto, a resident of Professorville
on Jun 28, 2007 at 5:21 pm

I didn't have the pleasure of knowing Anna personally, but she has touched us all in the Palo Alto/Stanford community. Her zest for life, her thoughtful approach to college, her wonderful joint column with her dad who also participates with his whole heart in our community.. We will all treasure Anna in our hearts. Yoriko Kishimoto Mayor and former Paly parent

Posted by Zachary Karnazes, a resident of Palo Alto High School
on Jun 28, 2007 at 6:28 pm

I am so very sorry to hear about the loss of such a wonderful person. I knew Anna through her longtime high school boyfriend Alexander Sherby. She would come by with or to see Alex all the time and I always thought she was such a terrific person and girlfriend to Alex. I can honestly say she was one I have the nicest down-to-earth people I ever met. I am just heartbroken by this tragedy and send out all my best wishes to her friends and family. While it is hard to see the good in such harsh times I think it is a miracle that Danny is expected to make a full recovery from such a terrible accident. I hope the best for him and I think we all know Anna will be deeply missed and not forgotten.

Sincerely,
Zachary (Paly student class of '05)

Posted by Marek,Claudia and Jerry, a resident of Nixon School
on Jun 28, 2007 at 7:49 pm

We are so sorry for the lost of your daughter, Anna. We met her when my son Marek was at Jan's class. We are praying for Danny, Jan and Fred.

Posted by Institute of Transpersonal Psychology, Year 2 Students, a resident of South of Midtown
on Jun 28, 2007 at 10:34 pm

Dear Luskin Family,

We have all been profoundly saddened to hear about the loss of your
dear daughter and sister, Anna. During this most challenging time, we
want to offer our loving support in both thoughts and prayers. Know
that we are keeping your family close to our hearts. Dr. Luskin, you
have been one of our most favored professors at ITP and have made
significant contributions to our lives. While we have not yet had the
chance to meet your family, it is an honor and privilege to be able
to help hold you and your family in this most difficult time.

From all of our hearts to yours,

Cohort 1 and Cohort A, Year 2, ITP

Posted by -coworker from gottschalks-lynn, a resident of another community
on Jun 28, 2007 at 10:41 pm

To the Luskins' family, everyone that loved her dearly, close friends,her loving boyfriend and her brother danny....

I know you don't know me, but i was anna's late coworker at gottschalks. Anna was the very first person i got to work with when i had started. The first hour we got to talking, i felt this connection with her. She was so easy to talk too, so helpful, and she made me feel comfortable. She was so inlove with her boyfriend. One moment i will never forget was when we both touched our necklace at the same time, and we both smiled. I said, my boyfriend got me this necklace and its white gold! Her smile got even bigger and said omg! my boyfriend got me this too and its white gold. Everytime i touch my necklace, i think about that moment. Then a few weeks later, i was sadden to find out that she had to quit her job! she had promised that she would come back to visit. She came unexpectedly a few times, and i would always embrace her with a hug. I believe it doesnt matter how long you've known someone,its the connection you fell with that person, and she is was sooo awsome!! She loved helping people and she was sooo real. When i had found out about her passing, i had to step out while working, and i just cried outside of gottschalks and prayed. Then this sudden subtle wind swept over my face, and i knew...everything was going to be okay. Anna is in good hands...

danny-im happy to hear that you are recovering...i lost my brother about 3 years ago on aug. 3 2004...he was a football player at morro bay highschool that had died from a boating accident in san atonio lake. He too was sent to twin cities hospital.He was only 17 years old, and at the time i was 15. I just want to let you know...that i understand what your going through. I hope and i pray that you get through everything,this will make you stronger.Anna hasn't left you...i talk to my brother all the time. Stay strong & if you ever need someone to talk, you can contact me, my email is rollylynn3@yahoo.com.ph if not, your always in my prayers..

anna's parents- you raised such a beautiful and talented daughter...i know that it may still seem a shock to you from this day..but watching my parents go through my brothers passing was hard. The minute i heard about your daughter, my heart cried out to both of you. Losing a husband/wife is one thing,but your child is another. Use this time to lean against each other and love one another. I hope both of you grow stronger and stay strong. I believe the Lord has wrapped his arms around you and your family..and everything will be okay....God bless you and your family, my email is rollylynn3@yahoo.com.ph if you would like to contact me, and it would be awsome if you would like to talk to my parents too..

anna's boyfriend-
remember when i said,this girl does not stop talking about you,she loves you soo much? i know i dont need to tell you, and i dont need to say much. She loved and loves you dearly...keep it strong && her heart will always be beside yours...Keep your head up

Again, im sorry for your loss, Anna will NEVER be forgotten

RIP ANNA LUSKIN!!!

[takes heart necklace and kisses it]

-rolilyne narito(los osos/slo)coworker at gottschalks

Posted by Jen, a resident of Palo Alto High School
on Jun 29, 2007 at 11:26 am

I graduated from Paly a year before Anna. When my mom first forwarded me the email about her memorial service, I felt deeply for her family. When I looked her up on Facebook and realized that I recognized her, however, I became even more saddened. Although I was never close to Anna, I remember her presence on campus as always being cheerful and having a smile on her face. May her family receive all the love and support they deserve and more.

Posted by Lucy Wallace, a resident of Mountain View
on Jun 29, 2007 at 5:36 pm

Dear Jan, I am so sorry to hear of your loss and send all my prayers and calm thoughts to you and your family...I did not have a chance to meet your daughter but did meet Danny in your classroom one time. I'm sorry I missed knowing this wonderful young lady.

Posted by A mom, a resident of Atherton
on Jun 30, 2007 at 4:49 am

I did not know Anna, so I can only imagine what a great girl she was. The stories I have read of her this past week have touched me deeply and will not be forgotten. My sincere condolences go out to the Luskin family and friends.

Posted by shoshana lev, a resident of Mountain View
on Jun 30, 2007 at 12:04 pm

Dear Fred and family,

I have been a student of yours at ITP. You taught my year of assessments with humor and spoke to us with the closeness of a family member. You have given so much to us. I know that I speak for our cohort, our year, all of us who have known you as our teacher and friend at ITP---you and your family are in our hearts and in our prayers. We love you.

Shoshana Lev

Posted by Dan Rubin, Philadelphia Inquirer, a resident of another community
on Jun 30, 2007 at 12:50 pm

Dear Luskin family:

My sincere condolences. This comes from across the country, and through a maze of time; Jan and I went to college together 30 or so years ago. Friends have emailed me of this unimaginable loss, and it has tugged on my heart ever since. Please know that an extended web of support is rooting for you. -- Dan

Posted by Sue Leeder, a resident of another community
on Jun 30, 2007 at 3:53 pm

Dear Fred, Jan and Danny:

I am praying for you in your time of tragedy.
May God and the great ones give you uplifting, trusting peace in heart and soul.

IDF,
Sue Leeder

Posted by David Sopkin, a resident of another community
on Jul 2, 2007 at 12:00 am

Fred, Jan, Danny:

I had the most sincere pleasure of knowing your daughter/wife. Being in band, and going to school with her, she was an outstanding, caring, and extremely friendly human being, who loved being around people, and who people loved as well. I am truly honored to have known her, and I know the entire communities of both Palo Alto and Cal Poly will miss her immensely. All of our hearts go out to everybody who was close (and everybody who wasn't). She will truly, honestly be missed, but will stay in our hearts forever.

Posted by Sarla Patil/ Viswanath Munivenkatappa, a resident of Mountain View
on Jul 2, 2007 at 12:08 pm

As fellow SRF friends, we pass along our sincere sympathy.
So sorry for your loss.

Sarla and Vishe

Posted by Debbie & Nathan Rosenberg, a resident of another community
on Jul 3, 2007 at 9:01 am

Dear Jan, Fred & Danny,

We were shocked and devestated to hear the news of Anna's tragic loss. Though we share news of each other through our friends, Jennie & Jim, we have very sweet memories of your family.

We cannot begin to imagine what the loss of such a beautiful, vibrant child means, but hope you find some comfort in knowing what an impact Anna had on us, and in the world around her.

We wish Danny a speedy recovery.

With love,
Debbie & Nathan Rosenberg

Posted by Katie Newell Sutherland, a resident of Portola Valley
on Jul 3, 2007 at 12:11 pm

Dear Fred and Jan,

Kimari contacted us over the weekend while we were away. There are no words for the shock and sadness we feel for you. We've just come back and, as I have not been able to think of much else, I have read through these touching words about your sweet Anna. I remember she and Danny only as adorable, bright children. Clearly Anna grew into a kind, thoughtful, generous, gifted young woman - no surprise coming from the two of you.

We are holding you both and Danny in our hearts.

All our love,

Katie and Mark

Posted by Monica Elden, a resident of another community
on Jul 4, 2007 at 12:40 pm

To Jan, Fred, the family and the community who loves the Luskin's,

Our mutual friend Eric emailed me this link along with the sad news. I am deeply saddened by your loss and I will hold you in my prayers. It has been moving for me to learn about your daughter through the outpooring of support and shared memories of Anna's community.

Monica Elden

Posted by nancy Heck, a resident of another community
on Jul 5, 2007 at 11:30 am

From Honolulu Hawaii:
Meeting Fred last year was a turning point for many of us. His ability to combine his intellect with his heart was the key. Now his heart is broken with the loss of his beautiful daughter. No words can be written to ease that loss but we can let Fred know that last year when my heart was broken, I attended his workshop and felt a glimmer of hope. One year later I can honestly say that I am happier now than I have been in years-due in a large part to my heart softening and my ability to forgive. Thank you Fred and know that there are many people in Hawaii who aloha you and will miss your being here with us this year.

Posted by Sean Patrick Hatt, a resident of Los Altos Hills
on Jul 6, 2007 at 9:19 am

The words won't come. There's only heartbreak and helplessness and an impotent desire to do something--anything--but write this. "I'm sorry" is all that comes...and "I love you." For now, that will have to do. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Posted by Jody Main, a resident of Woodside
on Jul 8, 2007 at 10:17 am

Dearest Jan and Fred, We are so overwhelmed with sadness and pain to hear about Anna. We've all lost your precious child, we've all lost a bit of our hearts, and everyone wishes there was something we could do to change it. From the day I met your family at softball, I felt the special love and caring and respect you have for eachother. I loved when Anna and Danny came to the games, but like all our kids, as they grew up, Danny had his own games to go to and Anna was off at College. I'm always happy when Danny as time to come by to cheer our old team on. You are a wonderful family and will always be special to Bill and I. We love you very much and please let us know if we can help in any way. Danny - we are so sorry you lost your sister. Our hearts go out to you and we send you so much love and hope for a quick recovery. We are so happy to hear you are home now and hope to see you at a few games someday. You are a very nice young man with so much to look forward to. Your loving family will help you get through this but if you ever need another friend, please call us. Much much love to all, Jody and Bill Main ... and your Tie Dye Team!

Posted by ITP student, a resident of Mountain View
on Jul 8, 2007 at 2:51 pm

Dear Luskin family,
Please accept my deepest condolences to you for your loss. No words can express the sadness of this tragedy. I never had the pleasure of meeting Anna, but was nonetheless shocked to hear of her passing. I was moved to read many of her articles posted in the Review and found her to be bright and loving spirit. I would like to extend myself and my sincerest sympathies to each of you during this mournful time -- as you had so kindly extended your mountain home to me and my partner on several occasions. Please know that you and Anna will continue to be loved and held in our hearts.
Dan Gaylinn

Posted by Stephanie Evans, a resident of Menlo Park
on Jul 12, 2007 at 1:17 pm

Dear Fred, Jan and Danny,
I want to express my very deep love and sympathy to you in remembrance of your daughter Anna.
Fred, I remember how proudly and lovingly you spoke of Anna this Spring when we met at Kara.
I remember meeting Anna and Danny and Jan an evening years ago, during the Forgiveness Study at Stanford.
Thank you for sharing Anna's life with those of us who feel close to you, during this tragic time.
Learning of Anna's generous spirit of love for her family and friends, knowing how very much she will be remembered and loved,
is a gift and inspiration for us all.

My love is with you,
Stephanie

Posted by Member, a resident of Duveneck/St. Francis
on Jul 31, 2008 at 7:02 pm

Does anyone know where she is burried? I'd like to pay my respects.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.