The full text of the March 29 letter to the school board from the new Palo Alto Management Association Executive Board is as follows:
April 9, 2007
Dear Board Members,
The PAMA membership met on Thursday, March 29th, at Escondido Elementary school. This meeting was facilitated by Geoff Ball and Jerry Talley. At that meeting, it was reconfirmed by the membership to continue our participation in the O.D. [organizational development process if multiple conditions were met. PAMA's concerns were previously stated in a letter written to the Board on March 19th.
We continue to believe that the Board's untimely appointment of an assistant superintendent was hasty and compromised the O.D. process. We had been hopeful as we worked with the consultants that we were moving forward in addressing the concerns we outlined in September. Namely issues of trust, inconsistency of practice, preferential treatment, and lack of communication.
This latest appointment is seen by many members as a blatant disregard of our concerns. Therefore, at the March 29th meeting, the membership decided that they would be open to continuing to participate in the O.D. process if the following conditions are met:
* Continue the O.D. process at least 6 months into the new Superintendent's tenure
* Exit interviews be given to management retirees and those managers leaving PAUSD
* Fair and open process in hiring and promotions
* Include three (3) PAMA members on the Superintendent's Selection Committee
* PAMA Interest Based Team meets directly with Board representatives to discuss salary, benefits and working conditions
* Release current Superintendent immediately
* Rescind recent Assistant Superintendent appointment
* Share O.D. data with PAMA (this condition has been met)
(The above conditions are in alphabetical order and not in order of preference.)
Our goal, as always, is to move forward in resolving those issues that we have expressed to you many times. We would like to receive a written response by April 16th so that we can communicate with the PAMA membership in a timely manner.
PAMA Executive Board