By Paul Losch
2014 PredictionsUploaded: Jan 1, 2014
How Could a Community Blogger Not Prognosticate?
Some things locally that will and will not happen, in no particular order:
• All developer initiated applications for commercial development and for major changes in residential areas will go down in flames.
• The cost of single family homes will continue to rise. Dirty secretsome of them will be semi- occupied, and only are purchased so the children can attend Palo Alto Schools Family has a house in a nearby town
• More bungalows that were part of PA 100 years ago will be scraped and replaced with McMansions, some good some bad. Beware of basements in certain neighborhoods, which have underground creeks
• There will continue to be a retail schism on University Ave. Mainly catering to those on the expense account, not to those who want to schmooze with a friend or make simple purchases. Personally, I will continue to patronize CVS and Whole Foods for some, but not my entire routine needs
• High Speed Rail will implode at long last. No dinero
• Something significant will occur at HP after years of dysfunction
• The citizens and voters of Palo Alto will continue to be critical and ungrateful to the City Council, the various commissions, and the City staff. I see it as OK to disagree with people in public positions on their points of view and the choices people have to make. There is a reason why many capable people choose not to re-up when their terms expire.
• Our school district will continue to be a Lake Woebegon, where all the children are above average, except for those who are not. And it depends what is measured to ascertain what above average means
I am sure other readers have some predictions. Please offer them .
I appreciate the number of hits on this blog, and offer my best wishes for 2014.